Advanced Cruising-Boat Technique (35-minute video)

bsangs

E35-3 - New Jersey
My new life goal is to gybe as smoothly as you do in this video. Impressive. Lotta great tips in this.

gareth harris

Sustaining Member
What a beautiful boat. It is great to see an Ericson in such good shape.

Good information too.

The absolute highlight though was watching the crew.

Gareth
Freyja E35 #241 1972

Thanks for the video! Good emphasis on MOB maneuvering and planning. Makes me think of the 'safety third' motto for when safety should be 'first, second, and third', and then fun I guess.
This past winter came across a book on "commercial fishing safety" or something similar and one part that really stuck with me is: the majority of boat fatalities are from falling overboard and the majority of people who fall overboard are intoxicated.

Bolo

Contributing Partner
Christian, I took another look at your video this evening but with my wife who had never seen it because i wanted her to learn a couple (well, more than a couple) of important things that you covered. She did enjoy it. At 7.50 in the video you point out a bent bracket on your traveler and said that a line probably got under it causing the bend. Well, I’ve seen this before and it wasn’t from a line getting under my traveler. It was from gybing. My old Schaefer traveler had brackets holding the cam cleats, very similar to yours, and once during a “forceful“ gybe the leeward bracket bent at the cam cleat just like yours looks. I was able to bend it back with little trouble.

Since then I replaced the old traveler with a new Harken model and have not had that issue. Probably because the cam cleat bracket is more substantial. Not denying that you‘re correct with the diagnosis of your bent bracket, just saying that I had a similar situation and mine was caused by a lively jibe.

IMG_1636.jpeg

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
No doubt it was a jibe while I was asleep, prelude to a broach, which happens to singlehanders.

Those Ronstan traveler fittings, perhaps not perfect, are the solution to salvaging the Ericson OE traveler of my era. More here: