Adding cam cleat to cabin top

southofvictor

Member III
Blogs Author
I want to add a cam cleat on our cabin top for my vang line. The best lead I’ve found would put it just outboard of the starboard companionway hatch slide, forward of the mainsheet winch. Right now I’m using that winch’s horn cleat for it since the winch is a self-tailer.

I have two questions:
1 - should I expect the cabin top at that point to be cored? No problem dealing with it, just want to know whether it’ll be a multi-day project or not.
2 - can I grind away some of a Harken cam cleat riser to accommodate the curve of the companionway rail and still expect it to perform or should I plan to use a piece of something solid as a riser?

Heres a pic, the arrow points toward the spot I’m thinking of placing the cleat.

1714053099051.jpeg

bsangs

E35-3 - New Jersey
We have a triple rope clutch in that general vicinity on our 35-3 (came with it installed), but do not have a cleat located in that area. Functions very well and seems solidly attached.

That's a wife playing Candy Crush pose down below, with which I'm very familiar. :egrin:

G Kiba

Sustaining Member
Jim, I might think it may be difficult to release with it located up so far forward. Those cleats work best close to an edge. I had a routing issue with my reef lines that I solved with a low friction deck organizer. Vang, cunningham, outhaul. Not much line movement. Nothing worse than drilling holes for something that does not work well. As for making surfaces flat, I found that epoxy putty (in a tube) works wonders! You can shape and contour the finish before it hardens. Amazing stuff.
antal.jpg

Kenneth K

1985 32-3, Puget Sound
Blogs Author
I would expect wood coring in that location. I think you'd be fine to sand/grind away at the base of the cleat a bit to meet the curvature. The base is probably not solid plastic, but a shell with ribs, which you could fill will epoxy if desired to make it more solid.

When I had to change the angle and slope on some deck hardware, I did it in various different ways.
20210815_163444_HDR.jpg 20200810_200103.jpg

For the clutch and clam-cleat, I built bases from thickened epoxy. For the fairlead, I purchased a plastic fairlead base "extender," then cut and shaped it to size, filled the hollow parts inside with epoxy, then painted it black.

I think G Kiba might have a point about difficulty working a cam cleat in that spot. Maybe test it out before you drill the holes.

southofvictor

Member III
Blogs Author
Good point Grant, thanks for that. So you’re thinking put a low friction redirect to get the line to run fair past the winch, then put the cam cleat at the edge of the cabin top like the traveler cam cleat?

southofvictor

Member III
Blogs Author
Doh, double post. Thanks for the epoxy in the voids of the store-bought base idea Ken, I hadn’t thought of that

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
If you do not have a "wide" enough area for the base of a conventional cam cleat, there exists a vertical version. I once put a smaller Lance Cleat on a boom for an outhaul. Handy design, for some applications.

G Kiba

Sustaining Member
Yes! You might want to use the second position for another light running control. Looking back at your photo, what about to the far right of left where you have a straight flat surface on the bevel? Maybe? Might just squeeze under the dodger too.

fairway.jpg