add a scoop onto the transom of an E 34?

Duncan

Member I
Does anyone have any thoughts about adding a scoop to an E 34? How about filling in the IOR rule-beater bustle and adding an eighteen inch dinghy dock? A friend did it to a Peterson design of similar proportions with positive results.

Last edited:

Duncan

Member I
Scoop added to an E34 (1990)

I had the work done by Paul McCartney who works out of Westport Marina in Sidney, B.C. Canada. The price was $2300 CDN plus (but he said I got away cheap and would charge more like $4000 in future). It took about a month and I had it done while the gelcoat was peeled for blisters and I was replacing the bronze shaft strutt (a victim of electrolysis) with a robust stainless one. The scoop (flat part, fore and aft, measures 18") has added about a foot of waterline length when the boat is stationary and more when underway. The overall length of the boat has changed from 34' 10" to 36' 6". The square hole you see when looking directly at the stern is the open end of a square aluminum extrusion that is one and a half inches square I.D. and runs the full length under the floor of the scoop. My plan is to use it to affix a plate that will be through-bolted through the transom and have a mechanism for attaching a swim ladder, barber's chair (HA), windvane stearing mechanism, etc. The scoop has been pronounced a winner by the family because it facilitates kayaking (the inflatables on the deck), swimming and fishing, and is frequently used by young people as an isolated reading room when heeled (with safety harness) and an out of the way place for a quiet cuddle while dangling the feet at anchor. Oh, and I should include, I stand my small (8 foot) RIB inflatable up on it when at the slip.
Cheers, Duncan.

PS. If you would like to see two pictures of the scoop send me an email and I will send them to you. dkerkham@shaw.ca

:D

Last edited:

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
Image 1 of 2

Take a close look at his stern....

Attachments

• soffio.jpg
    soffio.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 710

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
Image 2 of 2

Now check this out! Wow! :egrin:

Attachments

• soffios steppe.jpg
    soffios steppe.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 666

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
The pictures look great!

Did the yard keep a mold from yours to use to make more of these?
That would tend to keep the price reasonable.

That boarding platform looks wonderful, whether it adds any micro-knots of speed or not. (Actually it might add some speed upwind, but it looks too pinched in for off wind speed. At least to my uneducated eye.)
;)

Loren

Duncan

Member I
mold for scoop

He did not use a mold. He wrapped a large piece of arborite (later discarded) around the stern to get the interior shape of the scoop and then began fairing in the hull to below the winches. Vinylester was used underneath, then balsa core, then vinylester on top. The whole addition is out of the water when the boat is at rest. I don't know about micro knots of added speed, there is no way to compare. Also, with six golf cart batteries in my house bank, this is not a racer. However, I tell my wife that we are going faster and have calibrated the knotmeter to show a little more, that makes everyone feel better about the cost -- and she is the first one to disappear onto the "back porch" with her book on lazy days when the sun hits the stern.
Cheers, Duncan.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
More stern changes

To add to this thread, I now have a picture of the PSC stern step on an early 90's E-38, and a custom stern step added to the slopped part of the transom on an O-34. The local yard sez they could make this same change on our Olson, but I chickened out of getting a firm quote... There would be quite a few hours (and $$) in such a modification... It would be best bid as part of doing an LPU re-paint on the hull, and that bid is $6K by itself.
:rolleyes:
I guess I better go out and buy a Lotto ticket this week.

FWIW, here in River City, the local builder of Cascade Yachts has been putting "suger scoop" extensions on the transoms of many of their older Cascade 36 and 42 sloops for over 20 years. IMHO, it seems to be quite a utilitarian addition.

If anyone else has pics to contribute, please post 'em.

Thanks,
Loren in Portland, OR

Attachments

• PSC E-38 step stern.jpg
    PSC E-38 step stern.jpg
    155.6 KB · Views: 283
  • step stern added to O34.jpg
    step stern added to O34.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 272
Last edited:

CaptnNero

Accelerant
I'll take one.

I prefer Duncan's mod to the PSC version. I wouldn't want to trade lazarette storage for the PSC recess transom.

Then again now that I'm a broker, I guess I should push the PSC cut-in so people will run out of storage sooner and want to sell and buy-up . ;)

Steve

Member III
Why

:0305_alar Understanding the swimming, access to the water, back porch, dock access etc thoughts, but if your like me, loss of any storage area would be disastrous. We use the aft locker for fenders, BBQ, AC cord, and dingy gear and more. If that was cut short, yikes where to put it? :confused:

Steve E-3

Randy Rutledge

Sustaining Member
Sean or anyone
Is the scoop glassed into the hull of is it a bolt on? It appears to have a breakline between the hull and scoop. Does this change the handicap for racing as it looks like it is above waterline or almost at all times?

I was toying with he idea of adding a swim platform on my 29 and this looks like the way to go. Lots of work to build but in drawings it really adds flow to the lines of an E-29.

CaptnNero

Accelerant
more counter = less seaworthy

FWIW - As I understand it, lengthening the stern above the water line increases handling issues in heavy following seas. Each wave impact has more torque on the hull from the longer lever arm from COG, and no underwater resistance to offset it. Defintely a issue offshore. This is one of the reasons long counters disappeared from designs.

I just thought I should add that for perspective.

Any yacht architect heads out there with an opinion ? Is my analysis accurate ?

Richard Elliott

Member III
Transom Scoop

I've seen the Sidney, B.C. transom modification and the workmanship is excellent. Perhaps I'm too much of a traditionalist, but it makes the stern look too pinched.