A4 Electronic Ignition!

hcpookie

Member III
I bought one of the Indigo electronic igntion packages. He lives just up the road, so I actually drove to the owner's house and bought it from him in person! We chatted for a while... he's a very nice, down-to-earth guy!

Well, I installed it and what do you know, my A4 now starts within 5 seconds, EVERY TIME! Just like the package says. Previously, she'd sputter and cough and I'd have to give her a few tries, stopping every time to avoid exhaust flooding. Well, no more!

Personally I think it is a bargain - you get ALL of the components in the package to overhaul the ENTIRE ignition system - wires, plugs, the works. Since you "might as well" get all those components to begin with, to me it makes more sense to get the overhaul parts *and* the electronic ignition package all-at-once.

I'm completely satisfied with this unit and wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to anyone!

:egrin:

dwigle

Member III
best mod

I'm going to sound like an ad for Indigo, but I was never disappointed with anything I bought from them. The first was the electronic ignition which changed the boat from "usually starts" to "fires right up." Then I bought the PCV valve adapter which got rid of most if not all of the oil/engine smell when motoring. That was followed by the electric fuel pump kit which worked better than the two pumps I bought from Universal/Westerbeke in three years. The oil filter kit stabilized my oil pressure, gave some filtration, and made oil changes easier.
This was on my old boat, otherwise I would probably have the rest of their products.

Don
Wiggle Room
E38 #8

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
My A-4 I used to run bone stock with points, and a mechanical fuel pump. I had the crancase breather routed to the carb intake and never had smell. I carried an electric fuel pump as a spare along with a spare set of points and plugs. In all the years I had the engine it never missed a beat. Never took more than 3 or 4 cranks to fire up (with choke) even in the middle of winter. Electronic ignition is great and in fact far more effecient but make sure to carry a back up. I always believed the ignition was the achillies heel of any gas engine in a marine environment. Fuel is rarely a problem, unlike diesels which are much more picky about fuel quality.