A "really" dead tach

Bolo

Contributing Partner
I've made posts before about my erratically acting tach. But since then it was behaving itself but now, about a week or so ago it quit all together. So, I went on a search for that "one" loose or corroded connection. I checked and cleaned every connect at the tach. I checked and cleaned the harness plug (looks like a trailer plug) below the cockpit. I checked the alternator connection.

My system includes a Balmar voltage regulator (A MC-412, I think) installed by a PO which waits 45 seconds before sending a signal to the tach. This, as the manual says, allows the belts to seat and the engine to "lube up" before allowing it to start charging. So I know about this time lag. I also seemed to remember reading someplace that systems with a "multi-level voyage regulator" may sometimes keep a signal from going to the tach if the batteries are near a 100% charge. So...I turned off the battery charge at the dock for a day, while still running the usual stuff (fans, frig, lights) and started the engine to find the tach still dead.

I did take a reading of the voltage coming from the regulator while the engine was running and I found about .5 volts at idle and up to 1.8 and more when I revved the engine. In short, I tried just about everything I could think of short of actually testing the tach which I don't know how to do. BUt I suspect that the tach may be faulty.

Clint Eastwood once said in a movie, "everyman needs to know his limitations", or words to that effect. So, I think I've reached that point with my dead tach and I'll be calling the marina "experts" to take a shot at it. Still, it would be nice to hear what you all, who have any knowledge on this subject, can tell be about what you think it might be. I can, of course, still run the boat without a tach but....it's sometimes been my experience that a small problem (especially electrical) can be a symptom of a larger problem.:esad:

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
Simple Question: Is the alternator putting out normal voltage & current? When you start the engine the regulator should drive the battery voltage up to 14 1/2 volts fairly quickly if the regulator & alternator are working.

The signal voltage on the tach is AC, not DC, and should be 3.5 VAC minimum at idle & 5 VAC at higher RPMs.

The attached pdf covers the tachs like on my '87 E-34.

Attachments

• Tachometer Adj..pdf
    150.7 KB · Views: 175

Bolo

Contributing Partner
Tach info

Thanks for the info about my dead tach. I won't be on board until this weekend and maybe by then the marina will have found the problem. Either way it's good to have this info.

Bolo

Contributing Partner
Follow up on dead tach

Finally figured out why the tach was "dead". Tach was fine. It was the voltage regulator. Noticed that the engine was not charging the batteries. Ran out of time this weekend to check the alternator and regulator so I left that up to the yard. They found that the voltage regulator was defective and will be replacing it for me since I just don't have the time to work on it. Work just continues to get in the way! :mad: