A nice write-up about Bruce King NA

kapnkd

kapnkd
On Martin's Point #5, here is a "transom tour" on recent Catalina. Video starts at that point.

Kudos Christian!

What a GREAT slice of life on the Pacific side of the US sailing!!

Your review of transom evolution was EXCELLENT! …People just need to keep in mind the critical balance between their own overall cruising/sailing needs, practicality, safety and conveniences be it close to shore or mid ocean.

In my younger years, boarding alongside was easy for us and our guests. NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE as I hit my 80’s!

NOW!!!…With our recent arrival of a first grandchild (finally!!) We’ve been redefining and evaluating our overall sailing/cruising needs!

Our “Little” Lucy already LOVES her boat time. (Pictured on a friends boat)
IMG_5232.jpeg
BUT …gets a serious look when at the helm or with a line in her hand!
LIMG_5247.jpegIMG_5231.jpeg

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Ah, if only you could have photographed the stern of an Ericson 35-2, or with somewhat less design pizzaz ... an O-34 while you were there!
Thanks again for a nice video and island look-see.

Up here in Portland, we are just back home from a more mundane two night YC cruise to a local island dock where we enjoyed (and contributed to) the Saturday evening "pot luck hors d oeuvres" hour that lasted well over 2 hours... :) No need to even try to prepare a dinner.
Lots to eat, lots to discuss, and I have no idea what was decided, if anything........

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
If you have to scramble like sherpas to get on to the boat

I bought this dinghy step from Edson--helps people from inflatable to lifeline gate. Haven't really had a good test yet.

edson steps.jpeg

Martin King

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
If you have to scramble like sherpas to get on to the boat

I bought this dinghy step from Edson--helps people from inflatable to lifeline gate. Haven't really had a good test yet.

View attachment 48160
Well that's better than nothing but it swings on rope. The foldaway is fixed in place and has 2 rungs below the water so it can be used as a
swim ladder. Can also be deployed to help recover someone who falls overboard. I see that scanmar marine is marketing their version of it now.
One of the best purchases I ever made regarding upgrading our boat.

Attachments

• summerwind_2023.jpg
    summerwind_2023.jpg
    390.4 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:

Tooluser

Flǎneur
In case anybody is wondering, this book is not available to the public just yet but I am trying to get him release it as a print on demand offering. I will let you know if and when it becomes available.
I think this is a great book that the world needs. Can you say more about it?

Saverio

Member III
This evolution in fiberglass boats is discussed in the latest iteration of my fathers book. Briefly, it's broken into 4 phases.

Phase 1: Early fiberglass designs are based on their wooden predecessors. The plugs for the molds are actually constructed from wood.
Finished boats had applied wooden trim.

Phase 2: Fiberglass boats evolve away from their wooden counterparts to form their own identity. Bright finished wood trim becomes a nuisance rather than a badge of honor, while the previous general boat proportions generally continue.

Phase 3: Boat shows spring up worldwide as manufacturers utilize these venues to promote boating as a family activity, furthering women's
participation in boat selection and buying decisions. Feedback from these events comes the impetus to improve and expand accomodations for a given length. Even more pressure is brought to increase beam/length by the emerging IOR rule with it's fools dream of continued racing with the family racer/cruiser. The E39 is an early representation of this, before the light displacement quest superseded.

Phase 4: After the disastrous Fastnet race in 1979, the IOR falls from grace and there is a renewed interest in cruising. The quest for more interior volume continues with vehemence. This is coupled with wider sterns, molded in steps, plumb stems, higher freeboard, and straighter sheerlines.
This evolution he never could comfortably embrace, preferring to hold on to some semblance of traditional aesthetics, and seaworthiness.

Phase 5: This is not in the book, but we had a discussion about it after I came back from a recent trip to Catalina astonished at the hideous lines and grotesque hull shapes I was now seeing in this next generation of sailboats.

In case anybody is wondering, this book is not available to the public just yet but I am trying to get him release it as a print on demand offering. I will let you know if and when it becomes available.
Good morning Mr King, when it is published you say it will be possible to buy it on Amazon. I'm Italian, I'm renovating, trying to keep my Ericson 38 200 as original as possible. It's an exceptional boat, it's giving me a lot of sailing satisfaction and compliments on the aesthetics and interior furnishings from many sailors. In Italy the Sailing Festival/ gathering of vintage boats takes place, having your Father's book would be fantastic. Thank you very much for your availability. Kind regards Xavier

kapnkd

kapnkd
Well that's better than nothing but it swings on rope. The foldaway is fixed in place and has 2 rungs below the water so it can be used as a
swim ladder. Can also be deployed to help recover someone who falls overboard. I see that scanmar marine is marketing their version of it now.
Yep! I found out early on that rope ladders have a tendency to swing inwards following the hull lines making it difficult to climb up. Also, with an ablative bottom, swimmers would come out with the bottom color on them.

A friend years back gave me his wooden ladder off his Choey Lee 28 when he sold it. All teak and folding for storage. I had to modify a couple rail track slides with hooks but the ladder sure made boarding much easier than my former rope ladder.

(Haven’t used it in years now since being on the Great Lakes with so many marinas and clubs available. But..,back in the Bahamas when usually on an anchorage, it got a workout!)

Attachments

• IMG_9376.jpeg
    IMG_9376.jpeg
    133.8 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_9375.jpeg
    IMG_9375.jpeg
    169.6 KB · Views: 8

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
A friend years back gave me his wooden ladder off his Choey Lee 28 when he sold it. All teak and folding for storage. I had to modify a couple rail track slides with hooks but the ladder sure made boarding much easier than my former rope ladder.
Cool! I have seen those on larger boats. I wonder if one could copy the folding design in epoxy, honeycomb, and carbon fiber? Maybe reduce weight to about 5#.... ! :)

kapnkd

kapnkd
Cool! I have seen those on larger boats. I wonder if one could copy the folding design in epoxy, honeycomb, and carbon fiber? Maybe reduce weight to about 5#.... ! :)
I don’t see why not, there aren’t any complicated pieces with complex curves or shapes. …I can pattern/scale it out and post it if there’s any interest in it.

alcodiesel

Bill McLean
Bruce and I corresponded for a while, then when he didn't write back, I thought, oh, oh.

It's good to see no number after the 1939-.
He is an amazingly humble fellow, and I love the design of my boat.

David Vaughn

Member II
Blogs Author
We have one of those on our E31 Independence. Completely agree with Martin. It came with the boat, but would be worth the investment if it hadn't.

Martin, please add my encouragement on the book release. Would love to have a copy.

As far as design, we were warned by a previous owner that outside projects would take at least half an hour longer because someone would pass by and want to hear about the boat. Everywhere we dock, we get comments and questions. One guy saw us pull into the transient dock from the other side of the marina and walked all the way over to find out "what kind of boat that was". We talked boats for over an hour. Please give your dad our thanks for making our retirement cruise that much more entertaining.

Ed Orlando

Member I
Thanks Bruce, passed Whitehawk in the 80's on the Cape Cod Canal while on schooner Spirit of Mass. Stunning vessel.
Sail our E36C here in SoCal all the time in a sea of modern production boats she really stands out, gets comments regularly, never tire of looking at her anchored and sailing her is even better.
Cheers,
Hi Eric, Do you still own your 36C?

Ed

Ed Orlando

Member I
Great! I hope you don't mind a few questions. I recently discovered the 36C and am intrigued by the differences (much of which I like) between this model and say the E35 or E38.

How did you decide to buy your boat and how long have you had her?

erikwfab

Member II
I have owned Unda Maris for over 15 years, I decided on the 36C purely on ascetics, the design just looked sexy. I was looking at an Islander 36 Freeport around the same time, not in a rush to buy, contacted a number of West Coast 36C owners on this site and asked if anyone was interested in selling, one was, I bought the boat and never looked back, great SoCal vessel.

Ed Orlando

Member I
Sorry for the delay, Erik, but I have been busy at work. Thank you for your email!

How does the Unda Maris sail? In light vs. heavy air? Close hauled, on a reach, downwind? What would you change about the boat if you could?

Ed

erikwfab

Member II
Unda Maris and I would say all E36C’s are heavy 16-19K lbs depending on gear, they have a small main are well balanced but not over canvas’d so they are slow, handle heavy air, 20+kn well and with a drifter likely could do OK in light air, I dont have one. As for changes, well Ive made most and tolerate the rest, there arent many really without ruining her lines, its a solid design. Prop shaft is offset to port and with a conventional RH wheel she only backs to port from stopped, once you get some way she will back straight but dont count on it. Once you master her in harbor handling its fine, dont expect her to do something she cant, like back to stbd.
She is an ideal warm weather boat, or for here in SoCal, huge cockpit, dry, flat deck, well built etc. I have been in the market for a slightly larger, 40’ ish boat but just cant imagine not having Unda to sail.
hope this helps
Cheers