86' E-28/2 Salvage

Afrakes

Sustaining Member
Just got notice today that the marina is going to crush this boat next Wed. Don't have an agreement with them yet as to what I can get off the boat before it goes. Does anyone need anything specific and will you back up that need with funds?

Afrakes

Sustaining Member
Last Call

I reached an agreement with the marina. Boat will be crushed tomorrow. Going back this afternoon to grab a few items.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Any interest in describing this process? Derelict and unwanted or abandoned boats around here are a problem for which there is no easy or cheap solution. And the problem grows as the years pass.

The county tends to sue people, who of course can't be found or aren't legal owners or are broke by definition.

I am not aware of any established local process of crushing and disposal at all.

Afrakes

Sustaining Member
Rip 616

86' ERY 28/2 616 has been crushed. "Prampalo" was abandoned on the hard at PBB marina for three years. Since no storage fees were able to be collected the marina took steps to legally seize 616. Observing that 616 had not moved in all that time and that the furled genoa had never been removed I enquired about it's status. Spoke to the marina manager in May and was told that the marina didn't have possession yet and the plan was to crush it when they did. I expressed interest in stripping the boat and paying for the items removed before crushing. Nothing happened in the ensuing months. I kept letting them know I was still interested. This past Sunday, at the marina's annual boater appreciation party (free food and all the draft beer you could drink) one of the yard hands told me that the boat was slated for crushing on Wed. Kind of perturbed me that the manager never told me.

Unfortunately I wasn't able to get much off of the boat. It took two days to reach an agreement which left me just Wed. I removed some stuff in the morning and took a two hour lunch break from the 90 degree heat and 70+% humidity. When I returned they had begun crushing boats and I couldn't get at 616. Also by that time other vultures had descended and made off with deck top items. The Universal M-12 engine went to one of the yard mechanics.

On the positive side I was able to get the piece I most wanted, the mast. My 87' 28/2 is a hybrid. I'm presently using the 39ft. mast which came from my 81' 28+. The 28/2 was designed with a 40ft. mast. This purchase will allow me to get the 87' back to the original rig configuration. The mast is not the original Kenyon it's a LeFiell. It appears to be about 10 years old and in perfect condition. An absolute steal at 1g. Sort of makes up for the disappointment of not being able to salvage more.

Last edited:

Afrakes

Sustaining Member
Main sail

One of the marina hands that I've developed a friendship with had removed the main sail from 616 before it was crushed. He gave it to me. Unfortunately it had sat, bagged in the boat, floating in a mix of water, diesel and engine oil. Before I take it to the local loft for evaluation I have to get the stains and stink out of it. My plan is to submerge it in a 55gal. drum with a bunch of detergent and Oxy-Clean. Any other suggestions out there for removing such stains from a sail?

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Worth a try. I have never been able to get stains out at all.

I now laboriously (well, not labor if the sun is out) lower the new mainsail and genoa every few months and go at any dirt with Fantastic and a scrubber.

The dirt is from contact with lazyjacks, from the flogging of the backstay against the roach, from the spreaders where they touch the sail, from the boom if I allow it to get dirty, and from the sail cover (if it gets dirty).

Mildew is a constant issue, and very hard to remove even with straight Clorox.

However, mildew grows only in dirt. So, no dirt, no mildew.

Keeping new white sails white is much more effort than anybody is willing to admit.

Dacron is impervious to almost everything. But white, well, that is a temporary condition and one which we struggle to maintain.

Oh, something else roughly on the topic:

Do you notice stitching coming apart even on new Dacron sails?

That is inevitable, too. Synthetic sails are so hard that the thread doesn't bury, as it did in cotton or canvas.

It lies on top. Abrasion is inevitable.