'79 E-27 Engine & Thru Hull Questions

Desiderata

Member II
Was finally able to remove my E-27 handrails intact and will now thru bolt them back on with accompanying handrails (I made myself out of 1' teak stock, since aftermarket rails have too short a span betwwen loops) on the inside cabin to same bolts. Any suggestions as to embedding material?
I'm also gathering opinions on thru-hull fittings below the waterline. Bronze or nylon?
Lastly, my single cylinder Yanmar diesel (heck, I don't even know the model #!) is spewing an inordinately amount of oily smokey/residue out exhaust, particularly when throttled up a bit. Supposedly 200 hrs. on rebuild ?
Mike & Cheri McNulty

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Don't know much 'bout Yanmars... but... I wonder if your boat is over-propped? :confused:

There are excellent threads on this site about thru hulls. Use the Search function. Try words like Marlon, thruhull, ball valve....
You'll soon figure it out. :)

Here is one great thread:
http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexchange/showthread.php?t=2705&highlight=marlon+hull

There are several others.

BTW, "nylon" is not used for underwater thru hull fittings, AFAIK.
You want Bronze or Marlon -- either choice is good, and both have their good and less-good attributes.

Cheers,
:cheers:

ps: Mike & Cheri, Please do not be offended, but I changed your thread title make it more descriptive and searchable.

Last edited:

Annapolis E-27

Member III
Believe it or not the oily, smoky exhaust may just be due to a fouled bottom or fouled prop. With a little Yanmar it does not take too may barnacles on the prop to cause this problem.

Desiderata

Member II
Thanks Mark,

We plan to haul the boat in a few weeks and will know more then, as I can brush off the bottom (and do every few weeks) but the old lungs have trouble doing the keel. Mike:egrin:

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
black smoke and oil

It is true that the black smoke and oil could be due to a fouled prop or too much load on the engine but I had a another (worse) scenario that had a very expensive out come. When I bought my boat as a repro on a as is term with no professional survey done, after about two years of use, I started getting the black smoke and oil. My mechanic at the time couldn't identify what was wrong because everything was checking out OK.

Then my little Yanmar 1GM10 finally seized. When we took off the head, it turned out that the exhaust had been back flushing into the mixing elbow and rusted out the elbow, cylinder head and exhaust valve because there was no exhaust riser installed on the engine. My new mechanic had to fabricate a custom exhaust riser that attached to the engine before the mixing elbow or manifold. Hopefully you have a exhaust riser and this won't be your problem.

I am sure my Yanmar 1GM10 was not the original engine in my boat because I have a 1973 E-27 and Yanmar did not start making the 1GM10 until the early 1980's. I do think my boat may have had one of the diesels offered by Ericson originally because my fuse panel did not have the additional instruments next to the fuse panels that I see on all the other E-27's that had Atomic Fours.

Here is a great privately operated web site that has helped me a lot. http://www.yanmarhelp.com/

Oh yeah, I replaced my through hulls with bronze ball valves!