76 Ericson 25

Dean Hupp

E36 Ron Holland
Hello looking at my first boat. I am convinced its got to be an Ericson 25 or 27. I found an 25 with the outboard motor transom. I cant find out if this model has a 9ft beam like the earlier 25+. Thanks for any help.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Back in the 70's the legal width limit to trailer a boat was 8'. (This was later changed to 8.5'.)
The Ericson 25 of that era would have a beam of 8'.
While you could and can trailer a wider boat, you need permits to do so.

There was a brochure picture of one being towed on a double-axle trailer behind a full size sedan, altho I would guess that a pickup truck would be a better choice.

Last edited:

Wysailer

Member II
Ericson 25

Yes the 25 is 8' and the 25+ is wider.
I have a 1973 25 with the center board and it's best to trailer it with a truck. When I bought mine in Minnesota and brought to back to WY I had a 1/2 ton but later upgraded to a 3/4 ton. Depends upon how much and far you plan or need to trailer the boat to determine which would be best.

The 1/2 ton towed it well since the trailer has an equalizer hitch so there isn't any noticeable sag when hitched.

BTW mine is for sale if you are interested.

Scott B
WYSailer 25CB

Dean Hupp

E36 Ron Holland
the sailboatdata site "usually" has pretty good information on the various models.

According to the site, an Ericson 25 (built 1973-1978) has a beam of 8'=0". The 25+ (built 1978-1984) had a beam of 9'-3"

http://sailboatdata.com/view_builder_by_loa.asp?builder_id=75

(and, welcome!)

Bruce

Thanks for the info I got confused from an article I read leading me to think that after they started building the 25+ they quit building the standard 8'beam fixed keel 25 and built them with the 9' 3" beam. Im leaning more to a E27 with 9' beam, fin keel and spade rudder. The transom hung rudder on the 25 looks a little fragile for off shore sailing, although I don't read much about failure.

Glyn Judson

Which E25 to consider.

Dear friend, Our former boat was a 1979 E25+ hull #515 and I can say that we enjoyed her extra beam which contributed to her roominess greatly. The boat we owned before her had an eight foot beam and boy did we appreciate the added roominess. Decades ago I had occasion to chat with Bruce King about the E25+ and her seeming tenderness when stepping aboard. He explained that he designed the boat that way to be tender in light air, yet stiffen up at 9° or more for heavier air, an all around great beer can racer or young family cruiser. My wife Marilyn and I sailed her from Marina del Rey to the Isthmus on Catalina Island so many times that we actually wore a groove in the water between both destinations. At no time did we regret owning her and frankly, only sold Egret (photo attached) when the Dawn Treader, 1979 E31 hull #55 became available, a boat we still still 23 years later. If we weren't to have the Dawn Treader any more, I'd get another E25+ in a New York minute. So if one comes available for you to purchase, do consider the above and any other information you might get from the rest of us. Best of luck and keep us informed, Glyn Judson

Attachments

• Hull #55, Catalina Island, summer 06.jpg
    Hull #55, Catalina Island, summer 06.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 39
  • Egret, Mare's 1st passage, 6-1993.jpg
    Egret, Mare's 1st passage, 6-1993.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 61

Glyn Judson

E25+ lore.

Dear friend, I forgot to mention that the photo of Egret is monumental because my child bride Marilyn asked the Harbor Patrol for the photographic record that day celebrating her first single handed passage from MDR to Catalina Island over 32nm of open water ALL BY HERSELF! Since then she has done it so many times on both boats, we have lost count. I think she's a keeper, especially after 48 years of tolerating me. Glyn

Dean Hupp

E36 Ron Holland
Glyn thanks so much for your information. And, what an accomplishment for your wife!! I'm re-looking at a 72 E27 this Saturday that I'm in hopes will be the one. I'm 66, retired and working on bucket list stuff. Sailed as a teenager, thought I would sail my whole life but forgot about life, kids, work, you know.
Thanks again and Fair Winds to you and your wife. Dean