Just became owner of a Mk III in Valdez, AK

Between the dorads in front of the mast is an unfinished area
looks like silicone or something
6 inches by foot and a half (roughly)

what is supposed to be there???

thanks

treilley

Sustaining Partner
Nothing. It is a place to store a winch handle or other gear required on the foredeck. This is a common problem area that leaks and it sounds like someone tried to seal it. Others here have covered that area with star board to seal the box. Mine is looks original but is all glass(no exposed plywood) and does not leak(yet). Here is some more info.

http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexchange/showthread.php?t=5476&highlight=35+dorad

BTW, congrats on the new boat.

Cory B

Sustaining Member
Vis-

Triellly pretty much said it all.

Mine leaked like a sieve when we got it. Someone at the factory had gotten lazy and left exposed plywood in there. Fortunately the water mostly went straight through the deck and found its way into the cabin, so the moisture in the core wasn't too bad. All fixed now.

Now it makes a good drink holder. :)

I think you just might win the "Most Northerly Ericson Homeport" award.

Last edited:

Kim Schoedel

Member III
I was getting leaks from time to time. Make sure you take a stiff wire and clean out the small weep holes (I guess that is what you call them) as they can plug up with junk and thus you can get standing water in the box.

I have put off resealing the inside of the box. Instead, my wife sewed a square chunk of matching sunbrella that snaps on over the box opening. No more leaks. And it looks like it belongs there. Works great for a quick fix.

Congrats on your purchase. Great boat and welcome to this site.