35-III (and others?) Trash Storage

Cory B

Sustaining Member
The 35-III (and maybe some other models?) has dedicated trash storage via a pass-through from the galley to the lazarette. We decided to try putting it into use finally yesterday, but ended up scratching our heads wondering how to put a trash bag in the spot where it should go. There are no clips or anything else to keep the bag in the spot. We are thinking of either:

a) Adding some kind of klips to hold the bag in place
or
b) Try to find a conventional trash can that fits snugly in the space provided.
or
???

So what have others done?

Thank you,
Cory Bolton
1984 Ericson 35 mkIII

e38 owner

Member III
one solution

Trash E 38
After years this was my solution
I placed a old water bottle at the bottom of the trash bin
I then but a standard trash can on top. The water bottle makes the trash can high enough that it has a lip. I then but a garbage bag over the lip.
I just replace the bag when emptying the garbage,

The bag holds enough for about a weekend

John Butler

Member II
Similar Solution

Our E 38 came with a plastic trash can that fits the opening (I think it hangs by it's lip -- not sure if it reaches the bottom). It's very handy to use that pass-through from the galley!

John

Steve

Member III
Plastic can

We found a plastic office type trash bin from the local office max that fit, thus we put the trash bag over the can's lip then set all into the hole. This way if the bag gets a hole the stinky stuff is contained in the plastic bin that you can hose out on the dock.

Steve
e35-3

treilley

Sustaining Partner
The one that came with my boat was cracked and falling apart. I found one locally that has a tapered top edge that wedges into the opening. It does not go all the way to the bottom but pretty close. We store the bags underneath. I use a shock cord to keep the bag in place and the can is flexible enough to get it by the other stuff in there. I got it at either the local Ace HW or Walmart. I did find some great storage boxes at Walmart that fit very nicely in the nav table drawers. You can fit exactly 4 of them in each drawer. I use them to store rigging spares and other things. They were in the HW section and have a yellow bottom and clear top. I think $4.99 ea.

Kim Schoedel

Member III
Ditto on the trash can. I modified ours and now have a 55 gal can for lots of trash. Just jokeing folks. The PO was nice enough to leave the plastic/rubber container in the hole and its sits on a cardboard box wrapped in plastic. Thus bringing the top lip of the can up to the perfect level. No wedging, no floping around. I use big enough liners so I can pull the liner tight just under the lip and sucure with the twisty thing.

I happen to be the trash manager. Got this one down to a fine science. Now if only I could learn how to sail....

BTW, since we are on the subject, at the Captains request, I searched day and night to find a small trash container to fit snuggly behind the companionway steps. Thus being able to scrape off plates quickly. The captain had a tough time reaching through to the lazerette can to perform this task. Pretty easy then to take the little liner from the little can in the cabin and toss into the big one.

Cory B

Sustaining Member
Thanks!

Thanks everyone. After looking at the local stores for an appropriately sized trash can and coming up empty (rounded and contoured trash cans are in, rectangular is out), my wife thought she might have an old rectangular one at her work. Well, now we have that one, and her office has a fashionable contoured one. :devil:

- Cory

Ray Rhode

Member III
We use four stick on hooks at the top of the opennig and then hang up a standard cinch up garbage bag. When it is full we just take it out and put in a new one. I cut some foam core board to line the openning so that the bag would not hang up on the lip at the top.

Ray Rhode
S/V Journey
E35-III, #189

John Dawson

Please Contact Admin.
Trash Storage Ericson 35 III

:esad: You guessed it right...find a plastic trash can that fits inside the built in trash bin. That way you simply place the trash bag over the can and that's it. When ready to replace bag, just pull the bag out, tie wrap it and puff....your done. As a side note, I purchased a small plastic trash can that fits snugly behind the companionway steps next to the galley. It stays put even on heal. That way I two choices as to where the trash goes. There is a a tilt bin built into the wooden galley area that some people use, but I like to keep trash where it will not collect into small cracks in the wood and cause smell. :egrin:

tdtrimmer

Member II
Trash Compartment Bag Solution

Our 1981 E38 has a similar configuration to the 35. We have a rectangular wooden frame that fits the size of the trash compartment opening. The cross section of the frame is an upside down L. The lower lip of the frame fits down in the rectangular hole. We simply put a plastic bag through the frame, wrap the top of the bag around the frame and place the assembly into the rectangular hole. The frame holds the bag. I also added foam core angled from the bottom of the compartment to the edge of the rectangular hole so the bag will pull our easily and not get hung up on the top of the compartment.

Don Taugher

Member II
The following has worked for us on our 29, and now on our 38-200. Neither boat has the pass through (which would be nice). On each boat, I used cup hooks underneath the top companionway step. To the cup hooks I attach a double plastic bag, the ones groceries are packed in. For day sailing these disposable bags hold enough. For longer cruising, we still use the small plastic bags, but use a larger draw string type garbage bag to hold the small bags as they are filled. The garbage bags are held in the lazurete until ashore.

Don Taugher
Running Free 38-200 # 263

Akavishon

Member III
recycle

I use the pass through box in the lazarette to store cleaning supplies ... most of the time I just tie a drawstring trash bag onto the bar in front of the range, not very aesthetical but good enough for the w/e.

Also, I keep a plastic crate for recyclables under the salon table (with a little non-skid mat so it doesn't fly around when I tack).