32-200 Mast Length / Weight

clayton

Member III
Check out www.rigrite.com and click on Kenyon mast sections. Under cruising mast sections the Kenyon 4365 was common on the 30+ and 32. The I dimension is 42 feet, figure another 6 feet since keel stepped, so approximately 48 feet. The Kenyon 4365 section lists 3.7 lbs/ft so...around 180 lbs. Measure your mast cross section and check against the rigrite site. Good luck.
Clayton
'89 32-200

Brian K

Member III
Clayton, that's a tremendous help. I just purchased this boat and will be sailing it via Long Island Sound, East River in NYC, then up the Hudson to Albany where we need to drop the mast before entering the NYS Canal system. I'm trying to plan how I'm going to secure the mast in the down position. Thanks again Clayton.
:egrin:

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
Mast supports

Brian - My experience has been that the places that step/unstep masts in Catskill and, presumably, Castleton have mast supports that have been left by boaters going south available for your use. Bring a saw.

A board across the pulpit and a 2x4 "X" at the stern should be enough, but I cut a vertical piece for support at the mast step. A soft Vang is good for tightening lines. Some carpet scraps brought along from home can be helpful to protect paint and decks. And, of course, lots of rope to keep everything on board.

It's an easy trip, but make sure the mast is secure when you get to Oswego. I am still getting abuse from the owner's wife for the time I cast off at the wall and was below and asleep when we cleared the breakwall. We hadn't tightened the rig and hit some seas. That was 28 years ago.

BTW, where are you headed on Lk Ontario?

Brian K

Member III
Tom, I'll be keeping the boat at Fair Haven Yacht Club in Little Sodus Bay. I'm not sure at this point if I will have the mast stepped in Oswego or have Fairpoint Marina in Fair Haven do it. I have heard the same story from other boaters about the piles of mast supports. Do you know the name of a marina where I should have the mast unstepped near Albany? Thanks again Tom.

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
In Catskill I have used both Riverview Marine, which is right off the river, http://www.riverviewmarineservices.com/service.asp and Hop-O-Nose marina which is about a mile off of the river. Phone: (518) 943-4640

Of the two, I preferred Riverview both for location and professionalism, but the last time through their crane was down.

At Castleton Boat Club you can use their hand operated gin pole for a $50 if you have crew to do the work. I haven't been there in 15 years. http://www.castletonboatclub.com/

I don't know if the Troy Town Dock is operating. I got a voice mail when I called their number, (518) 272-5341. Their website didn't respond. I have never used them.

The advantage of using Catskill or Castleton is that you get a little time to get used to the rig being down and can make changes before you hit the federal lock at Troy.

Bring lots of phone #s in case the preferred places can't help you.

I have anchored in Fairhaven several times, great place, but have never been to the club.

It's time for me to head to my boat. Good luck.

tenders

Innocent Bystander
I took my '69 E32 through the canal several years ago going from Erie, PA to Manhattan.

I highly recommend the book "Cruising Guide to New York Waterways and Lake Champlain" by Chris Brown and you'd be welcome to my copy except I promised it months ago to Gareth (who hasn't sent me his address).

I don't suggest just laying the mast on the bow pulpit. The mast will be so low over the rest of the boat that it will seriously interfere with your ability to move around the cockpit and get in and out of the cabin.

My mast was held in place by three supports and I'm looking at a photo of them in my office. The middle, and strongest, was an X-shaped pair of 2x4s, bolted together towards the upper ends at the apex of the X. The 2x4 bases were cut at an angle to match up with the deck, which is sloped downward. The X was held in place fore-and-aft with lines down to the stanchions.

The forward support was a simple H-shape about 24 inches wide and about three feet off the deck constructed of 1x12s and placed on the foredeck. It was held in place by lines down to the stanchions and other deck hardware.

The aft support was also roughly H-shaped but it was U-bolted to the pushpit. The legs of the H were attached with hinges to the cross-member so they could be aligned with the coaming sides, which aren't perpendicular to the centerline. The upper cross-member of the H was pretty high above the top of the seat--shoulder-height, in fact, to provide more headroom in the cockpit.

Both the fore and aft H shapes also had an additional cross member located fairly low to the deck for additional stability.

Last edited:

Brian K

Member III
Tom, well I made it from East Greenwich RI to Fair Haven NY. We got to our destination, Fair Haven on Little Sodus Bay, NY at 6:45pm Saturday evening. The trip totals were 8 days, 545 miles, 31 locks on the NY canal system that brought us up to a high point of 430’ above sea level then back down to the Lake Ontario level, 2 lake crossings, 4 rivers, mast unstepped at Riverview in Catskill NY and stepped in Fair Haven.

Luna performed well in the big waves we encountered on Oneida Lake, just north of Syracuse. There was a big wind blowing directly in our face (as it was doing the complete trip, no matter what direction we were headed in) creating huge waves. We actually had waves coming over the bow a couple of times but Luna did well.

The only thing I would do differently would be to use an X type of support at the bow instead of using a support U bolted to the bow pulpit. It worked but made me a little concerned about any side to side or rolling motion.

The Riverview people were great! Thanks for the suggestion Tom.

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
Big waves - Oneida Lake??

Brian - Congratulation on completing the trip.

I've never run into big seas on Oneida Lake, but I can't imagine them larger than you will encounter on Lk Ontario. Maybe we had too much sail up on this day heading east to Oswego and the canal. :rolleyes: They were rolling over the piers at Oswego when we got there.

Attachments

• K boat Lk O.jpg
    K boat Lk O.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 110

tenders

Innocent Bystander
From what I hear, Oneida Lake is wicked rough when the wind is in the right direction. The waves might not get as big as they do on a Great Lake, but the chop can be much worse.

Brian K

Member III
Yes, it's the short wave to wave distance (frequency?) that make Oneida rough. We headed west from Sylvan Beach into a west wind blowing about 20mph. We actually buried the bow in a couple of waves.