32-2 Stuffing Box

Matey

Member III
Have any of you had sucess with a nasty looking stuffing box ? I'm afraid I'm going to be snapping the heads off and re-drilling. Is there anything special about this eybolt ?

Regards, Greg

Attachments

• 2 027.jpg
    2 027.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 133

Glyn Judson

Eye bolt concerns.

Greg, On the chance that you damage or destroy that eye bolt removing it, here's an easy fix, one that I did on my quadrant. One of the two 3/8” stainless steel eyes that fasten to the steering quadrant broke as a result of granular corrosion in the weld. I tested the other one and it virtually fell apart in my hands. I might add that there was no outward sign of corrosion whatsoever on the weldments of either eye. I was faced with replacing the entire cable because the eyes on the cable were swaged through the welded stainless eyes. I got around this by buying two C. Sherman Johnson Co. (Johnson Marine) turnbuckle jaws. A turnbuckle jaw is the threaded half of the turnbuckle that fastens to a chainplate or shroud. The 3/8”-24 R.H. threaded jaw, P/N 33-619 http://www.csjohnson.com/marinecatalog/00019.htm and two fine thread stainless steel standard nuts fit perfectly, replacing the old eyes. You'll have to carefully saw old off the cable but then it's a simple matter of fitting the turnbuckle jaw(s) with the provided clevis pin(s). This fix saved me having to replace the entire cable. They can be bought at West Marine or any chandler of your choice. Hope this helps, Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey, CA

Matey

Member III
Great Idea

Great idea Glyn..

I like the eye bolt replacement idea. I think that will work well.

As for the stuffing box bolts .. I guess I'll soak em' and see where I am from there over the winter.

Thanks, Greg