32-2 aft chainplate

ChrisS

Member III
Hello all:

My boat is in the yard, and of course I'm making a list of things to do after I launch. I'm noticing that the aft chainplate has a bit of discoloration where it exits the deck from its glassed in location.

I'm thinking of ordering a new chainplate and bolting it to the exterior of the transom.

Has anyone done this who could share with me the measurements of the new chainplate?

kapnkd

kapnkd
Hello all:

My boat is in the yard, and of course I'm making a list of things to do after I launch. I'm noticing that the aft chainplate has a bit of discoloration where it exits the deck from its glassed in location.

I'm thinking of ordering a new chainplate and bolting it to the exterior of the transom.

Has anyone done this who could share with me the measurements of the new chainplate?

...Is it just discoloration from the salt water environment or do you see any corrosion or deterioration of the metal? ...Got any photos you can show us?

P. O'BRYANT

Hi Chris,
I have a 1973 32-2 that I just got done doing a few repairs. One thing I wanted to get done was to pull and check all chainplates. The port and starboard chainplates are fairly easy to pull and check, the backstay and forestay are more difficult. I also had some discoloration on my backstay chainplate, so I cut off the old chainplate as it came thru the transom and decided to drill through the transom, the old chainplate and mount the new chainplate on the outside. I feel much better that I can see and check the backstay at anytime. I'll send a picture when I get back down to the boat.
Pat O'Bryant
E 32-2
CEPHERON

ChrisS

Member III
Thanks for the reply Pat. Any way you can measure the new chainplate?

I replaced the main chainplates last year. Indeed, replacing these old pieces of metal improves confidence in the rig. I'm planning to work my way through the boat until all are new.

P. O'BRYANT

Chris,
I haven't been at the boat for a week or so, I've been down with the flu, but I'm planning on heading down tomorrow. I'll measure and hopefully get a picture if it's not raining sideways.
Pat