29' Keel questions and intro

RyPhil

First a quick intro...

I am the new giddy owner of a 29' Ericson. Built in 1974, she's trimmed in blue and in great shape. I'll be keeping her on the lake here in Az and her and I will become very well aquainted. I also have a 18' Mirage, which was the largest boat I have sailed before.

The first question I have is regarding the keel. How is it attached? I have looked in the bilge and I found 2 large nuts, but I don't see how a bolt can be screwed inn. Or is it an integral part of the hull? I don't see any problems with the keel, I just want to know these things.

I am sure I will have more questions soon.

Thanks

Robert

Scott Lynds

Scott Lynds

Hi, I too purchased a 29 this year, and it is my first boat of any size to speak off. My understanding is that the keel is lead encapsulated in the fiberglass keel itself, and not simply a bolted on hunk of lead.
I look forward to your further questions as I will probably have similiar queries!
Take Care, Scott

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
A 29 is a lot of boat to begin with!
Some of your quuestions might be addressed by d/l the material from the Specs and Docs part of this site. Do a search on "ericson 29" and there should be quite a few messages to ponder. (Search icon is at upper right part of this screen)

I also believe that the ballast is internal in that model, like it's slightly smaller sistership, the 27.
Many questions get answered in the survey you bought before you closed the deal. You might want to call on the surveyor for some additional comments, as well.

Fair Winds,

Loren in PDX

ps: Just how large IS your lake? I do not ordinarily think of Arizona as a location for large keelboats. :)

Davis Modlin

Inactive Member
29 Keel

Yes the keel is incapsulated in the glass so you should not have any problems with it. I bought my 29 about 8 years ago and have put alot of work into her in those years. Right now I'm rebuilding my A4 and exhaust system. (should be done by spring)
Feel free to ask any questions here, there are alot of Knowledgeable people on this site.

Davis Modlin
73' E29
Holy Guacamole :egrin:

RyPhil

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to have a survey done. I found the boat on Ebay and didn't have much time to decide, but the price was very good and the pics looked great. When I saw her for the first time, I knew I got very lucky. She was even better looking than her pictures. She did come with a few problems, however. The engine is shot, the sanitation system needs new hoses and tank(stinky), a few blisters in the hull, and a bunch of little things. I have a good used A4 lined up to go in, I'm working on grinding and filling the blisters and sanding off the old bottom paint. By New Years, I should have a very good looking boat that will give me many years of pleasure.

Right now, the boat is on a trailer in my driveway. People slow down and stare, wondering about my sanity. Most people I know are asking if I am crazy, after I tell them I am moving onto a boat.

I think I will be calling her 'Asylum'.

As far as where she will be moored, Lake Pleasant is at 5200 acres now, and goes up to 9000+. Not huge, but not too small.

Robert

Davis Modlin

Inactive Member
Sounds like your boat is in about the same condition as mine when I bought her. (Except for the engine, even thou it ran for 7 years. It need alot of work)
And of course your crazy, You're a boat owner!!!!!!!! I know the lake you're talking about, Not big but you should get in a couple of tacks.
If you ever make it out to the L.A. area feel free to drop a note if you want to take a ride on a 29 on the ocean.

Davis
E29 #226
Holy Guacamole :egrin:

Joe Benedict

Member II
Keel Care

Robert:

Welcome to the family! As others have written, the keel is encapsulated with fiberglass. The bolts apparently were used to lower the keel in place during construction. The only comment I have is be carefull when storing the boat. My boat was stored by the previous user for 2 years before I bought her. Unfortunately, the yard did not put a board or other chaffing material on the steel keel rest in the cradle. With wind etc., the motion wore through the fiberglass at the bottom of the keel. The wear was not detected (bottom of keel) until the boat was launched. She almost sank. While the keel may be encapsulated in fiberglass on the outside, internally there are still some voids which allow water to enter the boat if the outer skin is compromised. I have a new boatyard.

RyPhil

Go for ride?

Davis, I'll make it a point to get to the LA area again in the near future, but after the holidays, just to go out in the ocean on a sistership. I'll let you know when I can get out there so we can get out in some big water. Thanks for asking.

Robert

Davis Modlin

Inactive Member
Any time Robert.

Right now I'm in the middle of rebuilding my A4 and won't be done until late winter. But after that it should be a busy cruising season.

Davis :egrin: