2007 R.V is Pt. Townsend June IS ON! Please Read

Status
Not open for further replies.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Slip Layout, Pt Hudson Marina

Not the clearest picture when enlarged... but copied from the html version on their web site, enlarged a bit, and resaved as a JPG.
Slip numbers are (barely) readable.

From the standpoint of orienting to the new dock arrangement, this might be of interest to attendees.

Best,
Loren in PDX

Attachments

• pt hudson new marina.jpg
    pt hudson new marina.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 79

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
...maybe we should revisit moving it north of the border every other year if there are few Ericson owners in BC who are still active. I don't recall who was from BC aside from Stuart and Mike at last years event.

It was my understanding the event was going to rotate north/south of the border each year - to make it more equitable, etc.

//sse

Graham Cole

The Zoomer
I would love to attend but I have to say with much regret that my recent treatment at the hands of US Customs/ Homeland Security has dampened my desire to cross the border by boat. I will be delighted to meet you all if and when the RV returns to the north side of Lat 49. I am sure my experience is exceptional and I would like to stress that I would never generalize here, but am a tad gunshy. Many wonderful experiences in the San Juans and Puget Snd. and always faultless hospitality and numerous acts of generosity and friendship on the part of US boaters. Just scared of the border. G.

wurzner

Member III
Sean,

My thread is based on a combination of amazement and disappointment with the lack of boats from Canada attending the event this year. Maybe the final particpants will show something different, but it looks like all the boats are from the US. I believe this was also the case in Sidney with the exception of 2 or 3 boats. I guess what I was suggesting is if the majority of the boats are from the US, why tredge across the staights? I don't care either way, but it makes it a much shorter trip.

I wish I had last years attendance roster so I could tell the breakdown definatively, but it is unfortunate that it looks like no one from up North will be heading south this year. Maybe there were more Canadian boats, but I only recall Mike and Stuart. I'm a Canadian citizen and certainly don't mind heading home, but the question is why if there are few active members up north? If the logistics of crossing the border that big a burden to avoid the trip? If so, that is a shame.

Sean Engle

Administrator
Founder
I think (and some of you from up there please chime in on this) this really has less to do with the fact that the Rendezvous is in Port Townsend - and more to do with the late announcement of location than anything else...

Like those of us in the South Sound (Tacoma, etc) it takes an additional day just to get up to Port Townsend - let alone the islands. So, that adds a minimum of two extra days travel - and for some of them - much further I'm sure.

I would imagine, that just like everyone else, we all have tight schedules, and determining when you're going to take holiday, and how much holiday you're going to take, is a decision best made early. Announcing the decision of Port Townsend was probably just a tad late, that's all. So, when it came up, I'm sure those owners further away went one way, then the other and decided it was too far away, too much time, etc...

On the issue of seperate/joint meets - I think the joint meets are more fun (of course, I'm driving) - but if people are interested in doing smaller, more local events, that's something that can be pursued also...

It's ok - this year will be fun, and lots of memories will be made. Next year, we'll get things squared away extra early (like in January)...and that will be just as much fun as all of these have been...or we can see what people want to do...

Oh, and by the way, it's really is too bad, however - I mean the guys from BC not coming - Gritten was up for the big award this year - and now we'll have to give it to someone else... ;)

//sse

hodo

Member III
Oh my, what amI i going to do with the 6 apple pies i have coming? I bet we think of something! ;) We are taking off the week before, from Kingston, after our annual Dinner/Dance.See you ther, Harold and Jessie, S/V Mischief :devil: Maker

Mike.Gritten

Member III
I can't speak for the other "Canadian" boats, but let me just illuminate a couple of issues. From our perspective, it is not a trivial choice to travel to Port Townsend. Assuming fair weather, we are looking at a minimum of 3 to 4 days travel from Vancouver. I just checked our logbook from the trip down a couple of years ago, and including a couple of stops in the Gulf Islands and the San Juans, we travelled 129.3 nautical miles to PT over 5 days. This meant that we had to commit to our full two weeks of vacation to make the rendezvous in 2005. It was a wonderful time, and we wouldn't trade it for anything. Seeing our 31 boats at the dock at Point Hudson was awesome!
Having said that, I don't know that I would want to spend our entire vacation, every year attending the Ericson Yachts rendezvous. Last year we really wanted to cruise Desolation Sound, and we couldn't do both - DS won out. Sailing is about adventure and exploration for us, and I'm sure, for many others. We want to push the envelope a little bit each season and expand our horizons cruising this wonderful PNW area we are blessed to live in.
This year, family commitments preclude us from attending (we have to travel back east for our God daughters wedding). We will have NO long sailing trip this year!
We have such a fantastic group of sailors in our little "club" here. Meeting you all is the payoff for us, as we find cruising is about the friends we make. If we're not there in body, we are there with you in spirit.
Let's not make this about the nationality of the sailors, because as sailors, we're already better than that! Let's focus on meeting like-minded people who share a common passion, wherever we happen to get together. I know that we will continue to try and fit the EY Rendezvous into our schedule and I hope that we will continue to attract new members to our fold.

Sean Engle

Administrator
Founder
...Let's not make this about the nationality of the sailors, because as sailors, we're already better than that! Let's focus on meeting like-minded people who share a common passion, wherever we happen to get together...

Well said - I could not agree more! :egrin:

I think occasionally seeing folks is good - it makes it easier on them, and that way no one will get bored of the same old faces, etc...

But...don't you want to know what you (would) have won, Mike?

//sse

Mike.Gritten

Member III
Well of course I do! I was trying not to appear self centered so I was waiting for someone (you) to beg me to ask. This way I come off looking way cooler than if I just blurted out, "Tell me what I would have won...tell me...tell me...tell me, NOW!!!!"

See, that would have been way un-cool!! Thank goodness I didn't do that!! ;)

wurzner

Member III
Mike,

As mentioned, I too am Canadian and didn't mean to create any north of the border/south of the border animosity. The point you raise is exactly what I was I was trying to state, maybe we should consider 2 events...one on each side of the straights since there are folks who find it a challenge from either a time and/or physical perspective. In all likelihood, If they were scheduled approriately timed, I would likely make both since I do a 2.5 week trip each year.

I suggest this based on this years numbers and where the boats are travelling from. More specifically, maybe scheduling a R.V. in Sydney or elsewhere up north would give boats moored up north an event to attend since the P.T. event doesn't seem to be too enticing. I don't have the ability to see who voted for rotating the event, but perhaps the poll supports doing that since boaters may only plan on doing the event every other year due to the crossing.

I agree it is about getting folks together and that means coordinating events accordingly. I believe part of it too is folks out the puget sound are a lot more accustom to heading north...that is where all the best cruising grounds are. It is really rare for me to see canadian boats down in Puget Sound and understandably so, between the San Juan Island, Gulf Islands, Desolation Sound, and Barkley Sound, you've got plenty to enjoy without heading south. That is why I believe the numbers are saying something beyond the late scheduling of the event and wanted to point it out.

To be honest, I'm not really surprised. If I lived in Vancouver or Nanaimo, I doubt I would attend any events in the US. I'm am a little surprised that no one out of Victoria or Sydney is attending though since that is a pretty easy trip. Also, there is some personal disappointment since there was a fair amount of time put into this and for a handful of boats...it is kind of a bummer.

Anyway, my .02 cents.
Shaun

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Announcement in 48 North...

May issue available in Portland today and the Rendezvous announcement is very complete. Shaun may be getting some calls and emails!

Way to go!

Loren

Tom Plummer

Member III
Since no one seems to be doing tee shirts this year I thought some of you might be interested in some very special Ericson hats.

My sister in law made the hats in the attached photos for my wife and I for this years Ericson Rendezvous. If any of you want one they are $36.00 for Hat with horns, detachable visor, and a chin strap. If you want them embroidered with your boat name on the front and your name on the back then the price goes up to $46.00. The price includes shipping and handling. The hats come in Royal Blue, Simply Red, and Khaki. OBTW they do float for a while because of the horns.

Tom Plummer

SV Jessie E35-2

Attachments

• Hat front.jpg
    Hat front.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 81
  • hat rear.jpg
    hat rear.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 55
  • hat front 2.jpg
    hat front 2.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 60

chasandjudy

chas and judy
going to rendezvous

We "EDEN" and "Hilda Harris" and E30+ and an E 28+ are going to try as in previous years to make the rendezvous as we have for the last few years
We are out of Esquimalt Harbour which is a 5 to 6 hour sail across the strait
but we are more likly to go to Roach Harbour and past LaConner for a safer
more scenic route Our spouses will probaly return on the COHO from Port Angeles as they do not like that trip across the pond.

Chas and Judy

wurzner

Member III
1 Month OUt and 16 Boats Registered

We currently have 16 Ericson's signed up and I believe there will be few more attending from my marina. Who knows, we may get to the low 20's with a little luck.

Looking forward to seeting you all on the 16th!

Cheers
shaun

Jobsite II

Time flys

We can't believe it's been a year since we saw everyone at the Sidney Rendevous. We have been busy moving and haven't had much time for boating thoughts this spring but we are definitely going to try and make this year's event. The last three were fantastic (I love my inflatable kayak) and Port Townsend is such a great place. I will contact the marina and reserve a slip (Is there still room?) Hope to see all of you in June,
P.S. We are Canadians but we moor our boat in Bellingham. We have always been treated okay going in either direction.
Ken and Wendy Johnson,
SV Job Site II
1987 E 35 MkIII:::egrin:

wurzner

Member III
Slips Still Available but soon to be released.

There is a member of our Club who just took delivery of a 1989 Ericson 38-200 who is planning on attending as well as 2 other folks in our marina. With Jobsite II and hopefully a few late folks, it looks like low to mid 20 is realistic...not too bad to say the least. When I spoke with Chris at PT Hudson Marina, they still have a block of slips reserved but will be releasing them by the end of next week.

If anyone is considering it and hasn't signed up...this is last call to ensure a slip. There is still a chance slips will be available later, but being Father's Day weekend could fill up the marina fairly quickly since it is a small facility.

Looking forward to seeing you there.s

shaun

newgringo

Member III
2007 Rendezvous Events ?

This will be our first attendance at an Ericson Rondevoo. The folks at the marine took our check for 2 nights moorage and we have a slip somewhere with the group (maybe I should find out which one). We are looking forward to meeting you all. So we can prepare - is there any kind of schedule or game plan on events or activities?

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Rare Slip Opening at Rendezvous!

If anyone wants the primo slip beside Michief Maker, they should call the marina pronto. I just (very reluctantly) called today and canceled our slip reservation. We will be there by car, staying in town.

I thought that our boat's new fuel tank might be done in time, but too many delays and too much inefficiency in my own planning caught up with me.

Transfering diesel from jerry cans on the fore deck in big seas somewhere NW of Destruction Island just seems, um, you know, "unwise"... :rolleyes:

And that's the news....
:esad:

See you all at the Rendezvous.

Loren in Portland

Status
Not open for further replies.