1985 Ericson 28+ rigging question....

rbonilla

"don't tread on me" member XVXIIIII
can anyone show or tell me about spinnaker and topping lift rigging? where and
how to run the halayards and gear...thanx so much !!!:egrin:

Last edited:

Judith Redmann

Judy Redmann 28+ crew '83

Hi, My friend purchased a '83 E28+ two years ago. It had been on the hard for several years, and came with no information. I got all we have off of this sites downloads. However, some refer to E28, not, E28+. there is a world of difference. The + is much beamer, hear room a little less, but we have no issues.
Her boat has a Spin halyard, just above the 2 Jib halayards. It does not have a topping lift, but have considered putting one on. The mast has a Spin. Pole ring, no track. I know that S9.7's had the same arrangement, for class rules. We are thinking of using only an Asym anyway.

Do you have any of the information on the boat??
I will review the downloads and see if there is a picture of the head of the mast and block placement.
best of luck.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
The info in this earlier masthead/spinnaker thread might apply to the 28+.
My guess is that you are talking about a Kenyon spar...

http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexchange/showthread.php?7642-spinnaker-rigging&referrerid=28

BTW, I have not personally seen an Ericson of that vintage without spinnaker gear. Perhaps that's why there's no track or topping lift sheave. I wonder if the top. lift line exit plate was installed anyway? And the exit plate for both spinnaker (aka "wing") halyards?

Is there a fitting similar to a "masthead chafe cage" like the one on this link:
http://www.rigrite.com/Spars/Kenyon_Spars/4270-HP.html
That's what our '88 model has, but then we have a masthead rig, too.

Loren

Last edited:

Seth

Sustaining Partner
No "right" way

The exits and turning block/stopper/cleat locations are entirely up to you. If you sail shorthanded and this is not a racing set up, you may want them led aft to a bank of stoppers at the back of the cabin top. If you plan to race with a full crew you will want the spin halyard going to a cam cleat on the mast so it can be hauled up quickly by a crewperson standing at the mast, and the topping lift is generally led aft to a place close by the foreguy (assuming you have that already).

Which is a long way of saying there is no "factory recommended setup"- we did things a certain way most of the time, but there are many ways to skin this cat...

Good luck

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Yes, many setups possible.

I would carefully think through what to lead back and what to put on the mast, depending on how you use the boat.

Halyards led back tend to foul in the turning block and jammer when the sail is coming down. The turning block increases resistance going up. Leading halyards back also delivers a pile of line to the cockpit. Halyards on the mast are trouble free and easy to handle (mast winch required).

Will you be shorthanded, or singlehanded, or often with a crowd on board and you the only one capable?

Will you be racing with a full crew? Using a spinnaker and pole for cruising (people used to, but Gennakers got us lazy)? Do you want somebody furiously hauling up an asymmmetrical in a whirl of flying elbows in the cockpit, or would you rather have them working at the mast?

Now to abandon the socratic method: I hate halyards led back! I can't get to them anyhow if I'm behind the wheel. And a crew gets in each others' way trying to trim vang and traveller and sheets and headsails.

Doesnt every spinnaker set or jib change or unexpected moment need somebody running for the mast anyhow, clearing or unfouling or dousing or raising?

Sailing a boat from the cockpit -- well, I can't do it.

Since you get to rig it to your needs, rig it right for you. Worth some study and consideration of goals and needs.

Topping lift: A fixed wire from masthead to boom end might be OK. If that puts the boom too low when the sail's down, make the wire a few feet short and continue it with a line through a block at the boom end, up the side of the boom to a cleat near the gooseneck. You may already have an internal route for that rig.

The topping lift is only there so the boom doesn't fall on your head unexpectedly. When sailing it needs to be loose, no forces on it at all.

Last edited:

rbonilla

"don't tread on me" member XVXIIIII
thank you...

excellent info and feedback everyone...thank you...i'll post later what i end up with...

Seth

Sustaining Partner
Topping lift vs topping lift

Yes, many setups possible.

I would carefully think through what to lead back and what to put on the mast, depending on how you use the boat.

Halyards led back tend to foul in the turning block and jammer when the sail is coming down. The turning block increases resistance going up. Leading halyards back also delivers a pile of line to the cockpit. Halyards on the mast are trouble free and easy to handle (mast winch required).

Will you be shorthanded, or singlehanded, or often with a crowd on board and you the only one capable?

Will you be racing with a full crew? Using a spinnaker and pole for cruising (people used to, but Gennakers got us lazy)? Do you want somebody furiously hauling up an asymmmetrical in a whirl of flying elbows in the cockpit, or would you rather have them working at the mast?

Now to abandon the socratic method: I hate halyards led back! I can't get to them anyhow if I'm behind the wheel. And a crew gets in each others' way trying to trim vang and traveller and sheets and headsails.

Doesnt every spinnaker set or jib change or unexpected moment need somebody running for the mast anyhow, clearing or unfouling or dousing or raising?

Sailing a boat from the cockpit -- well, I can't do it.

Since you get to rig it to your needs, rig it right for you. Worth some study and consideration of goals and needs.

Topping lift: A fixed wire from masthead to boom end might be OK. If that puts the boom too low when the sail's down, make the wire a few feet short and continue it with a line through a block at the boom end, up the side of the boom to a cleat near the gooseneck. You may already have an internal route for that rig.

The topping lift is only there so the boom doesn't fall on your head unexpectedly. When sailing it needs to be loose, no forces on it at all.

Christian,

I think in this context he was referring to the spinnaker pole topping lift, as opposed to the boom topping lift:0