1984 E38 with main (under V-berth) freshwater tank leaking

Shadsboat

Member I
Hello Ericson Experienced,
My forward freshwater tank (which I believe is stainless steel and 60 gal.) is leaking slowly. Since it is an old boat I realize I am likely relegated to replacing the tank. My starboard tanks seem OK (would have been easier probably if they were the problem). Anyway, anyone with experience in getting the big forward tank replaced and with what and approximately how expensive?
Regards,
Paul

Baslin

Member III
My stainless steel tank leaks as well. I pulled it out last week and it looks like the previous owner had tried to repair the leak by spreading fiberglass all over the tank in hopes of stopping the leak. When empty, it's fairly light and easy to remove. I am going to put an air fitting in one of the bungs and pressure it up and spray soapy water on it and try and locate the leak. I would look into having it repaired because I'm sure the cost of replacement is pretty high. I have an 83 E38

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Hi,

I too, had a leaky bow water tank, but it was not a problem with the tank. It was the outlet fitting at the bottom center. I removed the tank (not hard) and I was was able to verify it was not a seam or pinhole by filling it up with water on the dock.

It is hard to get a good look at the fitting with the tank in place, let alone get it properly tightened, as I recall. Unless you need the exercise, see if you can make sure the outlet fitting is tight first. You could just lift the tank a couple inches and tighten or check the fitting security.

I would bet that the tank could be repaired, so do check into that if it's not the outlet. Hope this helps.

Craig

Shadsboat

Member I
Thanks for the good info

I will attempt to manhandle it and see for myself - I am encouraged that it is possible now.
P-