1981 E-36 Ron Holland

SLUSHFUND

Considering a E-36 RH. Its a 28+ years old.

So, what are the potential pitfalls unique to an E-36 a survey needs to concentrate on.

Is there balsa core below the water line, Lifeline stantion/balsa core deck issues, hull/keel joint, rudder post, standing rigging/mast?

Last edited:

Seth

Sustaining Partner
Great boat

Of course the answer depends on how hard the boat was sailed, and whether it has been damaged.

Unless it has been hit hard or grounded at high speed, the structure should be sound.

If the deck gear has been changed around without proper sealing, you could have some problems-but generally this is a strong, solid boat.

There are no real "gotchas" to look out for as long as it has had a good life.

No matter what, you MUST have a thorough survey by a REPUTABLE surveyor!

This will uncover problems with cores, structure, etc.

I am happy to chat about the boat in more detail, and will PM you.

Happy Trails!

S

SLUSHFUND

Anybody know what the trucking costs for a E36 from the west cost to Duluth or Chicago? I'm guessing there are no cradle, so can the still do it or would a cradle need to be made?

My inquires with a few boat movers have yielded Zero estimates.

Last edited:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
When you are looking at boats on Yachtworld, there is an option to request moving quotes. I tried it and the quotes did vary quite a bit, but it is a starting point.
If you Google "Boat Movers" you should find some companies to contact, as well.
I know that other Ericson owners on this list have experiences they can share, although you may need a new thread asking for boat moving info...

Best,
Loren

ps: here is an interesting one, although I have no experience with them...
http://www.uship.com/landingpages/xtemplate/boat_graphic_promo_b.aspx

Last edited:
I'd think a cradle might be necessary, but I have seen boats shipped out of here--Joule Transport comes to mind--with stands already on the truck. I have a VW microbus and a bad drinking habit, and I'd do it for $3.65 and all the alcohol I can consume along the way. What is life without a little adventure, a little risk?
Morgan Stinemetz

Seth

Sustaining Partner
California RH 36?

Do you know what hull# it is? I may know the boat

Last edited:

Seth

Sustaining Partner
The RED one

Rooster was originally red with a tiller, and was a good boat although rode hard and put away wet many times. But, that was in the 80's, and even then when she was sailed hard, there were pro's sailing on board, so unless there has been majopr damamge it is likely a good boat.

Cheers

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I thought that "Rooster Cogburn" has been for sale, on Yachtworld, in a San Diego brokerage for the last couple years. Price keeps slowly descending.

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/list...son&slim=quick&pricderange=Select+Price+Range

Is this the one? Blue hull nowadays...
:)
Some time ago, I sent the broker a message asking what happened to the way cool fold-up table that stores around the mast on the RH Ericsons, and never got a reply. Perhaps that table was engineered after hull#1 was built?

Cheers,
Loren

Last edited:

SLUSHFUND

That's the boat. #1 tells me keep looking. There is another with major electronics and upgrades. Big $$$$$'s.

A little off subject. My preference is a E-37. I have raced/sailed on one on Lake Erie. Comfortable, reasonably speed, sub 6' draft, bullet-proof, no balsa core in the hull and roomy. E-37's are pretty rear and not on the market long when they appear.

Seth

Sustaining Partner
#1 is OK

The boat is fine in terms of being #1. There have been so many upgrades and updates on this boat, that it seems a well equipped example, and the structure is fine.

The only thing is my gut tells me it should be about 15%-20% less expensive in today's market, but I am not current on values these days..

Stronger boat than the 37-with a better interior (much better) interior for offshore work-if that is part of your plan...

These are pretty special boats. There is one in Chicago for sale as well-let me know if you want me to talk to the owner..
Cheers,

Cory B

Sustaining Member
I thought that "Rooster Cogburn" has been for sale, on Yachtworld, in a San Diego brokerage for the last couple years. Price keeps slowly descending.

Close to three years at least. We looked at one that was for sale around the same time in Seattle. I really liked the lines, but the interior layout wasn't what we were looking for, and if I recall correctly I wanted a few more inches of headroom.

Robid

The RED one

Rooster was originally red with a tiller, and was a good boat although rode hard and put away wet many times. But, that was in the 80's, and even then when she was sailed hard, there were pro's sailing on board, so unless there has been majopr damamge it is likely a good boat.

Cheers
Hello Seth; Just purchased this boat in San Diego. Would be interested in any history that you have. Originally purchased it for access to slip but is a good boat for me to get up to speed again. Previous owner just owned it while he looked for another (Hunter) and barely sailed it. Spent three days just pulling "stuff" out of it. Thanks in advance.

Rob Boyle

Seth

Sustaining Partner
Congrats. I have no knowledge of the history except for the first year or so after it was launched, no nothing new to add. How well it suits your needs depends on the kind of sailing you want to do. If you plan to race locally, it could be very competitive in the PHRF fleet, as long as you invest in the bottom, new sails and deck hardware upgrades. Unless the boat has been continuously updated, it may cost more than the boat is worth to get it in racing shape. OTOH, there are a bunch of old boats in that fleet which have had that kind of love and attention, and the racing is pretty good. All depends on your budget and pain threshold.
If you are mainly day sailing/light cruising, you can get it in decent shape for a LOT less and for 3-4 people you have a great coastal cruiser. Curious to hear what has been done to the boat in the last 15 years…

Robid

Thanks Seth. You don't know how each very small comment can have an impact. Somewhere you mentioned...originally came out with a tiller. My Italian PO only could tell me " Oh yes, Rob! there is an emergency steering tiller!' which was this massive, still in canvas 6ft tiller! I spent some nights wondering how the heck they used it? Do I need to dismantle the Steering Stand? Your simple statment clarified everything..

Apparently they moved the Main Traveler back against the Steering Stand and then filled the gap with a big piece of teflon. I am matching up equavient screw holes and realize this is true and that no effort has been made to cosmetically hide this indiscretion although they did fill with epoxy and such and the decks seem solid. Being a bilge rat and a 12 yo trapped in a 70 yo body...I looked down into the abyss of the cockpit settee hatch and wisely took my cell phone with me. But all was good...just this week I realized one reason is that the nefarious "someone" cutoff about a three inch section of the edge to enlarge the entry and then attempted I believe in an honest quest to make the lid "watertight". Once in my element, I noticed the horrible cockpit drainage hoses which for some reason cross port to stbd and visa...so if heeling the low side drains uphill? and also leaves a Pee trap slug in the hose? There is plenty of antiquated equipment that only EBAY recognizes, dead and cutoff stuff...going to dead and cutoff areas. My first focus is on the Head and renewing 40 year hoses that have a crystalized sheen to them.

Mechanically there are some questionable stuff. I think they added a pretty good charger below but then they moved the engine heat exchanger and just threw it over to outboard and ran tons of hoses. It feels like I am dealing with 40 years of overthinking and "good ideas" under the influence of traditional rations.

As far as the deck goes, I am stripping everything off the boat that deflects from me from getting the boat out. The spinniker pole hasn't gone yet but will soon be once I find an innocent teenager willing to help a feeble elderly. But mostly what keeps me confused to where I am scratching a head that due to hair loss doesn't need head scratching....these pestky baby backs, baby forestays? not to mention like 11 winches. What Pothead thought this stuff up?....oh yeah, might be you. So I have a baby forestay which seems to line up with all this hardware below deck at about six inches forward of the mast, but on deck it is blanked off. The baby backstays? They lead aft but where? Do I have hardware on the inner rails?

Right now I am focused on all the systems. All the woodwork under is in pretty good shape. I am sure I will have to address the soft headliner issue and would like to know the current popular upgrade.

My wife and I are currently having a renaming argument. We can't leave it as it is because our PO just used his last name and I told him I didn't want his newly discovered squeezes showing up topless when he is just a few boats down. Personally I have an issue with changing names without due respect and tradition. The wife says there is no way she wants it named after a John Wayne movie...I proposed "Rooster" but thought maybe "ICHIBAN" or "UNO" might be incorporated to honor the hull number.

Anyway, we just had a great downpour so I am looking forward to hunting down those leaks.

regards

Rob

Seth

Sustaining Partner
Thanks Seth. You don't know how each very small comment can have an impact. Somewhere you mentioned...originally came out with a tiller. My Italian PO only could tell me " Oh yes, Rob! there is an emergency steering tiller!' which was this massive, still in canvas 6ft tiller! I spent some nights wondering how the heck they used it? Do I need to dismantle the Steering Stand? Your simple statment clarified everything..

Apparently they moved the Main Traveler back against the Steering Stand and then filled the gap with a big piece of teflon. I am matching up equavient screw holes and realize this is true and that no effort has been made to cosmetically hide this indiscretion although they did fill with epoxy and such and the decks seem solid. Being a bilge rat and a 12 yo trapped in a 70 yo body...I looked down into the abyss of the cockpit settee hatch and wisely took my cell phone with me. But all was good...just this week I realized one reason is that the nefarious "someone" cutoff about a three inch section of the edge to enlarge the entry and then attempted I believe in an honest quest to make the lid "watertight". Once in my element, I noticed the horrible cockpit drainage hoses which for some reason cross port to stbd and visa...so if heeling the low side drains uphill? and also leaves a Pee trap slug in the hose? There is plenty of antiquated equipment that only EBAY recognizes, dead and cutoff stuff...going to dead and cutoff areas. My first focus is on the Head and renewing 40 year hoses that have a crystalized sheen to them.

Mechanically there are some questionable stuff. I think they added a pretty good charger below but then they moved the engine heat exchanger and just threw it over to outboard and ran tons of hoses. It feels like I am dealing with 40 years of overthinking and "good ideas" under the influence of traditional rations.

As far as the deck goes, I am stripping everything off the boat that deflects from me from getting the boat out. The spinniker pole hasn't gone yet but will soon be once I find an innocent teenager willing to help a feeble elderly. But mostly what keeps me confused to where I am scratching a head that due to hair loss doesn't need head scratching....these pestky baby backs, baby forestays? not to mention like 11 winches. What Pothead thought this stuff up?....oh yeah, might be you. So I have a baby forestay which seems to line up with all this hardware below deck at about six inches forward of the mast, but on deck it is blanked off. The baby backstays? They lead aft but where? Do I have hardware on the inner rails?

Right now I am focused on all the systems. All the woodwork under is in pretty good shape. I am sure I will have to address the soft headliner issue and would like to know the current popular upgrade.

My wife and I are currently having a renaming argument. We can't leave it as it is because our PO just used his last name and I told him I didn't want his newly discovered squeezes showing up topless when he is just a few boats down. Personally I have an issue with changing names without due respect and tradition. The wife says there is no way she wants it named after a John Wayne movie...I proposed "Rooster" but thought maybe "ICHIBAN" or "UNO" might be incorporated to honor the hull number.

Anyway, we just had a great downpour so I am looking forward to hunting down those leaks.

regards

Rob
Hmmm. Quite a project you have there. My sympathies. And yep-I was that pothead, but it was very much in keeping with the fashion of the times. Were you asking for advice on the babystay and running backs?
Personally I would probably just remove everything related to the babystay. You should be fine without it-although in a perfect world any new mainsail luff curve should be designed with this in mind. The babystay allows you to put more bend in the mast to flatten the mainsail, so mainsails were designed with more luff curve. But worrying about that level of fine tuning when you have much more pressing matters isn't necessary and I would just remove all the clutter. In anything but crazy weather you should get good sail control by just using backstay and some vang when the waves are up. I would keep the running backs, but unless you love having them, I would only use them in racing so you can optimize the balance between mainsail shape (mast bend) and headstay sag, or very severe weather with big waves and the mast is really pumping. That rig is not dependent on either of those controls to stay in one piece, and they are really there for fine tuning sail shape/mast bend. Getting rid of the babystay really helps clean up the foredeck for spinnaker work and making tacking much faster. Hope that makes sense. Feel free to PM for a more in depth convo