110 outlet

Sven

Seglare
We have a shore power connection for battery charging and it works great as is. I'd like to tap into the 110 connection to have a simple 110 outlet for sanders, drills, etc. when connected.

Other than GFI, is there anything else I should look for when shopping for an outlet ? Are there "marine grade" junction boxes and outlets ?

Thanks.

-Sven

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
AC Outlets

Our AC panel has several breakers. One of them is for the "cabin" circuit (outlets). Others are for the charger and the hot water heater.
Our 34 footer has 5 AC outlets, and all are "marine grade" GFI types. This was done by Ericson.
From putting these in our house many years ago I know that only the first one needs to be a GFI, and that it can protect the "downstream" ones.
(Or at least that's how I remember the theory.)
Some would make fun of paying extra for the corrosion-resistant components in the marine-grade outlets, but think that it makes sense, given the damp environment.
Our boat has plastic boxes and good quality "boat cable" for the AC wiring runs.
For the sake of personal safety and fire protection (and to keep one's insurance in force...) I would want this to be a very Kosher installation, as it were...
:)

Best,
Loren in Portland, OR
Olson 34 #8

valentor

Member II
Sven;

Be very careful with AC - it is much more dangerous than 12V DC.

Besides using marine-grade wire, remember that the guage of the wire should be sized for the application, and the wire should be protected by fuses or circuit breakers. For example, 14 guage wire is appropriate for a 15 Amp circuit, and 12 guage wire is needed for a 20 Amp circuit and 10 guage wire for a 30 Amp circuit. The breaker needs to be the weakest link in your circuit and it should be as close as possible to the power source.

Ground the entire system to the shore power ground and to the boat ground.

John Payne's Marine Electrical and Electronics Bible or Don Casey's This Old Boat are both great reference books for electrical information.

Regards;

Steve