PNW Rendezvous Summer 2024

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
The local YC has reciprocal moorage, or at least they have in the past. Something to keep in mind; check with them to see.

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
Thanks Frank. 50ft slips come at a premium and while completely doable...covers a few drinks at the pub! We have a aluminum floored dinghy on davits with a 15 horse...so heading into the bay shouldn't be an issue. Will look at the map to see what you are referencing. Would be nice to meet up again...I still have a few shirts and I believe a Viking hat too. I think alumni are allowed to attend it properly attired lol.
Yes, the cost of moorage for a 50 footer would buy a round of drinks for everyone attending the rendezvous, well almost. :)
Of course you would be welcome, even without the attire, but that would certainly guarantee you would be held in good standing! :)
Your options for anchoring might be a bit better if you could arrive a day earlier, ie. Thursday, as that area gets busier over every weekend.
Loren's comment about reciprocal moorage might work, as the Maple Bay Yacht club is only a short distance (about a 10 minute walk) up the bay. However, they do not take reservations for reciprocal, only first come first served, so it's a bit risky, but again better if you arrived Thursday.
Frank

Jamiem

Member II
We are really looking forward to seeing everyone there this summer … it helps breakup the winter winds , snow and cold prairie days. Jamie and Lilith crew

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
FYI: the local yacht club that has a reciprocal dock appears to have raised their minimum insurance requirement again.
Now it's three million dollars. That would add a premium cost increase onto our policy.
A few years ago it was odd to see it listed as a million when no one else demanded such a document.
(I imagine that this keeps the Riff-Raff out... ! Message received.) :rolleyes:

Oh Well. The Maple Bay Marina where the rendezvous will be held now shows pix of new / replacement docks. :D
We look forward to another fun experience, but it's a shame that the local yacht club became so snooty, tho.

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
Loren,
The government recently raised the maximum for liability claims to about $2,250,000, and then adding court costs and legal fees, the cost of a claim could approach $3 million. So you'll find many marinas raising their requirement to cover that. I renewed my coverage to that earlier this year, after checking with my long term agent. So I don't think the local club is being "snooty" or limiting boaters, they're just being cautious consistent with the recent changes.
Frank

mjknowle

S/V Sagres
Hi folks! Just heard from the marina, and they'd like us all to register by Friday, July 12, so we have guaranteed berth space and all that. Here's what to do:

Please mention that you're with the PNW Ericson Rendezvous, or put it in the Notes if you're registering online, and they should take of the rest.

Official check-in starts at 1pm on Friday, July 26 and they'd like us checked out by noon on Sunday July 28 -- unless you want to extend your moorage either earlier or later, which you're welcome to do.

If you have any activities you want to do/things to share, please let us know so we can get the schedule together--we're open to ideas! Looking forward to seeing you all there.

Last edited:

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
What are the current tips and best-practices for clearing in and out of Canada?

I haven't been up there on the boat since before COVID and I suspect everything I did then is now obsolete. IIRC I was able to check into Canada by phone and was given my clearance number and instructions to write it on a piece of paper and tape it to a window on the dock-side of the boat. And I was able to check back into the US by phone as well.

I have a current passport, a "Real-ID" drivers license, a DTOPS sticker and a NEXUS (trusted traveler) card. Anything else I need to make things easy for myself?

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Looking at the Customs page for DTOPS info, they want to have you obtain your sticker in advance, but will also sell it to you when you check in (like in the past). I suspect that if you have a current passport, you are good to go.
That said, if you are set up to use a phone check-in procedure that's would be a time saver.

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
Looking at the Customs page for DTOPS info, they want to have you obtain your sticker in advance, but will also sell it to you when you check in (like in the past). I suspect that if you have a current passport, you are good to go.
That said, if you are set up to use a phone check-in procedure that's would be a time saver.
Thx, and... yeah. Last time (Genoa Bay) I went Port Townsend to Sidney, and checked in by phone to the Sidney station. Easy-Peasy, although some of the questions they asked on the phone were.... amusing.

mjknowle

S/V Sagres
What are the current tips and best-practices for clearing in and out of Canada?

I haven't been up there on the boat since before COVID and I suspect everything I did then is now obsolete. IIRC I was able to check into Canada by phone and was given my clearance number and instructions to write it on a piece of paper and tape it to a window on the dock-side of the boat. And I was able to check back into the US by phone as well.

I have a current passport, a "Real-ID" drivers license, a DTOPS sticker and a NEXUS (trusted traveler) card. Anything else I need to make things easy for myself?
If everyone aboard is a NEXUS holder, you'll want to use the Nexus Marine clearance phone number and plan to stop at a Nexus port. The info you'll need to provide is here. You call the NEXUS number, wait on hold, and answer their questions. You'll want to have your boat registration information handy as they'll likely ask, particularly if it's your first time entering Canada. They'll ask you what your ETA is at whatever entry point you choose to use; when you get there, you get to hang out for your ETA + 30 minutes. If nobody shows up, write down your clearance number and go on your merry way; if someone from CBSA shows up and inspects you, do what they ask.

If you're not a NEXUS holder, you need to clear at one of the TRS/M entry points, which is a rather shorter list. That's here. You can also cross in person at Victoria, Sidney, or Nanaimo. For boats arriving from the San Juans, your best bet usually is to drop in at Bedwell Harbour on South Pender. Everyone will need passports/valid travel documents. Bedwell is supposed to be staffed during summer, but the last time I went through in person (returning from the 2023 EY Rendezvous at Deer Harbor!), they just had a bank of phones at the head of the dock that connected you with the TRS/M folks, after a nearly hour-long wait on hold. Bring reading material.

In either case, only the master of the boat making the call/clearing is permitted to disembark until cleared, once you have your lines tied up. This is a good time for everyone else to enjoy happy hour aboard.

Note that most pit fruits, a lot of fresh meats/poultry (might be a longer list by the time July rolls around if H5N1 gets even more prevalent), and firearms are generally inadmissible into Canada. Check CBSA's list if you're unsure as this stuff changes all the time; you'll probably get asked about the contents of your fridge.

For returning to the US, we've found that the CBP ROAM app works super well, although I've ended up losing my stored information on it between last summer and when we last had to clear, a few weeks ago, which is a pain. Your best bet is to download the app, create your login.gov account unless you have one already, and enter all your information in while you're at home on good internet. When you're going to cross and have an ETA (but not before!), press the 'Report arrival' button, put all your information in, and follow the instructions. You'll either get to do a video conference with an agent, or get cleared right through. I've always been cleared right through--if you have a foreign boat, they'll assign you a cruising permit number your first time through, which you should keep in your ship's log as well as on the app for future use.

Cell coverage is usually good in open water (Haro/Juan de Fuca/Rosario) but can be iffy once you're into Trincomali Channel and in Gulf Islands anchorages, so plan accordingly. Coverage at Maple Bay and most points along the mainland should be good. You may want to check your cell plan's roaming provisions to avoid unpleasant costs/surprises, particularly if you're not with a major carrier/recent plan.

Navigational warning: If you clear at Bedwell Harbour and then leave up the inside of North Pender Island, which you will likely be wanting to do: please be aware of the seasonal whale exclusion zone up the SW side of North Pender Island, as it might or might not show up on your charts. More info here. Stay to centre channel between N Pender and Moresby Island, or you'll likely get a strongly worded call on VHF16 from the Victoria Coast Guard telling you to alter course (at best).

Last edited: