New drinking water filter

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author

I just read about this in the new product section of the Feb. 2024, Yachting Monthly.
Hyped as "chemical and electricity free in-line water filter with a lifespan of 10 years, that removes solids, bacteria, and even viruses."

Expensive at well over $500. US, but it does sound quite interesting. IF it does what it sez it will do.

Submitted for your consideration, as Rod Serling may have said.

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
Maybe. I have been out of "the game" for some time, but there used to be hollow-fiber filters that would do that in a lab setting. They required high-pressure pumps, and yes, they needed to be cleaned periodically, using a variety of chemicals. (e.g. sodium pyrophosphate and a light detergent) And they could be ruined if they dried out. Certainly it wouldn't be maintenance-free.

For comparison, J-boats come equipped with a "seagull" filter, which appears to be just an ordinary activated carbon filter like you'd buy at the hardware store, except it has a stainless steel housing, comes with a lot of unrealistic marketing, and cost ten times as much. $150 per year for annual replacement. I'm not sure who thought that associating what seagulls do with drinking water was a good idea.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Wasn't it Toddster who said that the ordinary "water filter" installed by owners intending to cleanse tankage is actually a bacteria trap? The argument was that they sit unnoticed, growing what they intercept?

I have one, installed by the previous owner. Changing the filters is awkward, and I forget for a year or two at a time.

I wonder what need there is for any of them, beyond advertising. And what value they provide, besides metaphysics.

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
Yes, many studies show that most home water filters are a net source of bacteria, after the first day or so. (All the "certification tests" are done in the first hour.) Hollow-fiber filters might be a different sort of deal, with proper maintenance. But I suspect that in a typical home installation, the end result might be like all the others.

Gaviate

Member III
Thanks Loren, I've been researching filtration systems and hadn't come across this. The washable feature is appealing although there are smaller pore filters available.
My quest is to use/consume any water that will "float my boat" and eliminate the need for excessive storage tanks. Being geographically limited to fresh water sailing in this regard is a bonus and does away with the need for the complexity of a salt sucking watermaker.
Its inconceivable that I should ever suffer from thirst!

Pete the Cat

Sustaining Member
I cruised for a couple years in Central America with a simple set up. I bought drinking water, but took on water from all sources through a simple garden hose filter and treated the "house water" (for dishes and cleaning up) with bleach. The problem I found in Central America was sand in the water that was used by the crude treatment processes in Central American coastal towns--the sand would settle in the bottom of my tanks if not filtered. I never trusted the water to drink and never had a problem. I got by for weeks at a time with another person on board by being frugal. I had considered all manner of water treatment, but was happy with what I had for simplicity.