Burnt rubber smell via exhaust

Hcard

Member III
Hello everyone, this morning i turned the 3GM30 yanmar on and i noticed the engine was not sounding like usual. Nothing significant. I did not pay attention to it much and we left the slip. Afew minutes later i noticed a burned rubber smell that seemed to be coming from the exhaust. It got worst as I increased the RPMs.
I turned back into the marina and noticed that the smell would go away at low RPMs. Opened the engine compartment and checked if the smell was coming from the engine but it did not. i could not smell it by the engine but my wife could smell it siting by the wheel.

has anybody come across the same issue? Any suggestions? Many thanks for your help.

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
Was there any sign of engine overheating? Did you have normal exhaust water? No smoke?
I would also carefully check all hoses for any abrasion, contact with hot engine, etc. I would also check wiring for any sign of burnt wires. But yes, it's puzzling.
Frank

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Check the impeller in the raw water pump. Might have shed a vane. Conceivable that a rubber bit got through the heat exchanger and into the exhaust.

Burning oil? I would reconfirm that the engine isn't smoking too much. Exhaust smoke hangs low over the water, normal steam dissipates much faster.

Hcard

Member III
Was there any sign of engine overheating? Did you have normal exhaust water? No smoke?
I would also carefully check all hoses for any abrasion, contact with hot engine, etc. I would also check wiring for any sign of burnt wires. But yes, it's puzzling.
Frank
Thank you Frank, there is a bit of white smoke! the engine did not overheat. Will check and revert.

Hcard

Member III
Check the impeller in the raw water pump. Might have shed a vane. Conceivable that a rubber bit got through the heat exchanger and into the exhaust.

Burning oil? I would reconfirm that the engine isn't smoking too much. Exhaust smoke hangs low over the water, normal steam dissipates much faster.
Thank you Christian, will check the impeller. There was a bit of white smoke on the water. Will check and revert.