• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Baja Ha-Ha yacht sinks

Mikebat

Member III
SPECIAL REPORT: J/World Sinks on Ha-Ha

I'm sure many of you sailors have had the special experience of sighting a whale, or a pod of whales. I doubt many of you have been attacked and sunk by a whale. But that's what happened to "J/World" - a J/120 - this morning after check-in with the Ha-Ha fleet.

ref_123

Member III
Tell me about it :)

I sailed that boat from SF to Santa Barbara 2 weeks ago. So I feel like I dodged a bullet.... Pity about Eugenie - she is a great sailor, hope she takes it in stride.

boethius27

Member II
I've only seen whales a couple times while out but they always make me a bit leery and I suppose this is why.....

ref_123

Member III
Not quite clear

Well, we did get in an uncomfortably close proximity with whales a couple times, but they were really minding their business, so we never had an issue... So, I hope to get a "private" report from Eugenie at some point about what went wrong and thrown that whale in the aggression mode... So far she has more urgent matters on her mind, but if I hear from her I'll update the group.

ref_123

Member III
Update...

Latest update www.latitude38.com - they hit the whale while surfing downwind... Whale was hurt and kicked their rudder off. Boat went down not in 5 minutes, as originally reported, but in 45. Scary stuff, really.

Regards,
Stan

Last edited: