Baja Ha-Ha yacht sinks

Mikebat

Member III
SPECIAL REPORT: J/World Sinks on Ha-Ha

I'm sure many of you sailors have had the special experience of sighting a whale, or a pod of whales. I doubt many of you have been attacked and sunk by a whale. But that's what happened to "J/World" - a J/120 - this morning after check-in with the Ha-Ha fleet.

ref_123

Member III
Tell me about it :)

I sailed that boat from SF to Santa Barbara 2 weeks ago. So I feel like I dodged a bullet.... Pity about Eugenie - she is a great sailor, hope she takes it in stride.

boethius27

Member II
I've only seen whales a couple times while out but they always make me a bit leery and I suppose this is why.....

ref_123

Member III
Not quite clear

Well, we did get in an uncomfortably close proximity with whales a couple times, but they were really minding their business, so we never had an issue... So, I hope to get a "private" report from Eugenie at some point about what went wrong and thrown that whale in the aggression mode... So far she has more urgent matters on her mind, but if I hear from her I'll update the group.

ref_123

Member III
Update...

Latest update www.latitude38.com - they hit the whale while surfing downwind... Whale was hurt and kicked their rudder off. Boat went down not in 5 minutes, as originally reported, but in 45. Scary stuff, really.

Regards,
Stan

Last edited: