• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Shift cable warning

treilley

Sustaining Partner
My transmission got very difficult to shift last season, especially at the end. I figured it was the cable finally giving out after 24 years so I purchased a new cable and went to install it this weekend. What I found was not caused by a bad cable but instead the bronze pin in the shift linkage that the cable threads into. It was seized into the hole on the steel shift arm. Every time I shifted the threaded rod was bending. This would have eventually broken with no way to shift the tansmission which could have been disasterous in a crowded harbor. Luckily I do not motor much!

treilley

Sustaining Partner
Now I am faced with the question of lubrication. What would be the recommended lube to use between steel and bronze?

Mort Fligelman

Member III
Tim: For years I have always used Boeshield wherever there are dissimaler metals.....

I do find that it dissappears rather quickly, and have had good luck with lithium grease......it does last a bit longer....

Good advice......I have had to replace the clutch cable, and as long as I was doing it, I replaced the throttle cable also......a real PIA job....

FWIW

chaco

Member III
Trailer Bearing Grease

Trailer Bearing Grease is waterproof and useful on a bunch of marine applications.