Shift cable warning

treilley

Sustaining Partner
My transmission got very difficult to shift last season, especially at the end. I figured it was the cable finally giving out after 24 years so I purchased a new cable and went to install it this weekend. What I found was not caused by a bad cable but instead the bronze pin in the shift linkage that the cable threads into. It was seized into the hole on the steel shift arm. Every time I shifted the threaded rod was bending. This would have eventually broken with no way to shift the tansmission which could have been disasterous in a crowded harbor. Luckily I do not motor much!

treilley

Sustaining Partner
Now I am faced with the question of lubrication. What would be the recommended lube to use between steel and bronze?

Mort Fligelman

Member III
Tim: For years I have always used Boeshield wherever there are dissimaler metals.....

I do find that it dissappears rather quickly, and have had good luck with lithium grease......it does last a bit longer....

Good advice......I have had to replace the clutch cable, and as long as I was doing it, I replaced the throttle cable also......a real PIA job....

FWIW

chaco

Member III
Trailer Bearing Grease

Trailer Bearing Grease is waterproof and useful on a bunch of marine applications.