Thread: E 27 Chain plates

Sustaining Member

E 27 Chain plates

The chain plates on the E 27 are fiberglassed (incased) on the inside of the boats hull. Since these plates are SS, I am concerned about the lack of Oxygen creating a corrosive condition resulting in failure of the chainplates.
    On inspection of my 34 year old E27 the condition looks good, however I'd like to know if others have had any problems with their chainplates.
    Thanks. Chris Trembanis

Stainless chain plate issues.

Chris, Only one reported instance of chain plate trouble has surfaced with the E31. It was the loose, port, aft lower shroud of hull #60 that alerted the owner to a bigger problem. Further inspection showed that the visible part of the chain plate was separating at the deck line from the lower unseen part. Of 73 E31's made, that's the only failure I know of. If one could gain access to the lower glassed part of their chain plates, I wonder if a small drain hole were to be drilled in the bottom the glass tabbing whether that might be of help? Thoughts anyone? Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55 Marina del Rey, CA

My E-27 is the same age. I had the same concern. When I replaced all my standing rigging five years ago my rigger did a inspection of the shroud chain plates and said they were fine. At that time when I looked at them my self, I saw no evidence of corrosion. I probably should take the panels off under the shrouds and take another look now that it's been five years. I have wondered why the shrouds are glassed in when the fore stay and split aft stays are through bolted and the plates are on the out side.

I would have to think that the glassed in shroud chain plates would be more protected from the elements because they are inside, where the stays are not.
    Last edited by Jeff Asbury; 02-28-2008 at 02:25 PM.
    Jeff Asbury "Pride of Cucamonga" 1973 E-27 Hull#355

Glassed-in chain plates.

Jeff, The issue with these chain plates and how they're attached to the hull is that the glass can end up acting as a pocket that can retain salt water in them. A part of the solution would be to create a drain hole in the glass pockets and seal the chain plates at the deck to prevent water incursion, something that could have been done or should have been done at the time of installation but could be done now too. This reminds me of a thread from years ago on this list regarding salt water corrosion that created a leak in the lower corner of a diesel fuel tank. The problem was caused by a pocket created by the factory in that corner when the tank was glassed in, a similar potential issue with the glassed-in chain plates on your (and my) boat. Regards, Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey CA

Yes, chain plates can be a problem

Chainplates at E27 can lead you to break your mast as it happen to me. I relocated them at the side of the boat and I feel more secure.

Gabriel:

Can you post photos of the new chain plates on your E27, or provide some details?

Thanks

Hi Chris- I am have the same issue on my E27 . Check the Maintenance section for a thread from an E29 owner (jkenan) who did the same thing. I haven't figured out how to copy links, but the date on the thread is 4/27/06.

Even though I'm pretty sure my boat has been in freshwater for most of its life, it was severely neglected by the PO and has leaked badly. There is some surface rust on the exposed portion of the chainplates below the decks, so I am worried about crevice corrosion in the glassed in part, and am contemplating moving them to the outside too.

Good luck. Let us know what you decide to do.

Doug

I found this story at the Ericson Fleet One (Bay Area) Web Site:

I found this story at the Ericson Fleet One (Bay Area) Web Site: http://www.ericson27.com/news/index.html

This is from their August News Letter Page:
    Welcome to new members Rick & Evelyn Zarlow who have already attended two cruises. They have Ericson 27 Windy (sail number 471) which they berth at Fortman Marina.

Rick has done extensive work on Windy. He had a chain plate failure which resulted in a dismasting. Rick explained that moisture which comes in from the deck and runs down the chain plate can collect in a V-shaped cavity where the chain plate joins the hull (see below). Corrosion at this joint is what caused his chain plate to fail. He has cautioned that we E-27 owners remove the wood panels and inspect our chain plates for corrosion. Thanks for the tip, Rick.

Nice little Sketch attached:

Time to re inspect mine!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Chain plates

This picture might help in explaining how I relocated the chain plates in Happy Hours. She sails in Costa Rica Pacific Coast.

Chain plates

This is a closer look of the relocation of the chain plates of Happy Hours.
    Gabriel

Please see the attached photo. I urge all of you with 27 EY to remove the chain plates and put them out to starboard and port side. I was dismasted twice, the two times because of the same problem, a broken chain plate. And it was not until the second time that I learned the basic problem. The original place is a bad one.
    Gabriel
    Happy Hours

Gabriel:

Some questions for you:
    Did you do the work?
    Was the rub rail removed during the installation?
    How did you know where to drill the holes for the two bolts for each chain plate?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CWM View Post
    Gabriel:

Some questions for you:
    Did you do the work?
    Was the rub rail removed during the installation?
    How did you know where to drill the holes for the two bolts for each chain plate?

Thanks
    Yes, I made the work myself.
    The rub rail was not removed, I drilled the holes from the upper part.
    The holes I made just guessing and I did used the old chain plates as backing plates.
    Gabriel

Wow, those aren't going any where!

Wow, those aren't going any where! Looks like you have done other modifications like the stainless hand rails, dorade boxes & cowl vents, and a cover for your companion way hatch.

This discussion motivated me to inspect my chain plates over the weekend. I did find some moisture in some of the the areas of concern, we just had a big rain the day before. I actually tasted it and it was not salty. I also wiped off some black stuff (not corrosion). I think it was soot or dust, the same kind of soot I have found in a lot of areas like under the cockpit. I don't know all the history on my boat but I know it was re powered with a 1980's model Yanmar. I think the soot I find could have come from a faulty exhaust system at one time. I don't think I am ready to replace my chain plates just yet, but I will be inspecting them annually from now on.

Backstay Chain Plate

Jeff,
    Be very careful inspecting the chain plates. A broken mast could take a life away.
    Talking about other modifications, I am putting an attached photo with the modifications I did aft: a ladder in the middle because the backstay lands at the top of the bimini top leaving a lot of space to move around the helm and openning the opportunity for a permanent ladder. I place a thick (1/2" X 6") stainless steel piece across in top of the Bimini Top. Also see the table at the back that can also be used as a seat.
    I have seen your pictures in your site and like the way you have your boat.
    Gabriel
    Happy Hours