• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

2006 NW Ericson Rendezvous - Discussion

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
Please use this thread for continued discussion of the 2006 NW Ericson Rendezvous. Info on the event follows. Also see the 'Announcement' on the event I will be posting to the top of this forum (until after June 16-18, 2006 - then it will disappear!).

Please note that as of January 8th, 2006, the venue of the 2006 NW Ericson Rendezvous has been moved to Sidney, BC. The facility at Port Townsend was damaged by a storm, and is unable to host us this year.

Thanks,
//sse

Dates: June 16-18, 2006

The contact info for Port Sidney is:

Port Sidney Marina
9835 Seaport Place, Sidney, B.C., V8L 4X3
Tel: 001 250 655 3711, Fax: 001 250 655 3771, VHF Channel 66A

lcurry@portsidney.com

Links for information about Sidney and places to stay for those driving:

http://www.hotelsidney.com/

Other links of interest:

http://bceh.com/gallery2/v/BC/vancou.../south/sidney/
http://tourismmall.victoria.bc.ca/sidney.html
http://www.sanscha.com/AreaAttractions/index/

hodo

Member III
Way to go Shaun. See you in Sidney. We have slip C12. Leaving Tacoma on the 9th for Kingston, then on up the sound to arrive Sidney friday. will take about a week coming back, I hope. Cheers, Harold

Jewel

Member II
:egrin: We will be camped out at B9 (is it possible to be a benign Viking?)

See you in June!

Dan and Julie
Jewel E28+

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Beginnings of (Gasp)... an Agenda?

Does this new-to-some-of-us location lend itself to a pot luck? Group sailing on different boats (Saturday?) ?
Will happy hour be... on board, from boat to boat? At a pub? Both?
;)
Does the group want any kind of sailing-related presentation or seminar like last year? Indoor facility available?

...Just pondering... on a cold rainy morning in Portland...

Best,
Loren

Gord Bell

Member II
I think that trying to spot the beer cans in the water from a distance could be a little challenging.
cheers Gord
Huckleberry

Seth

Sustaining Partner
Visit

All,

If desired, I may be available to attend this-in past similar events I have spent some time on different boats, helping with rig tune and deck layouts, even a short sail with several attendees. I could give a brief talk on a subject of popular choice; general sail trim (and theory), heavy air techniques, offshore or inshore cruising, performance in general, navigation, etc.

I have no need to be paid, but expenses would be a plus.....

I am just putting this out there, and so I don't sound like a pimp, I won't do it again. No problem either way, but I wanted to make the offer to join you E folks...I have friends on one of the Seattle Islands-but that may be too far away for overnighting from Port Sydney.

Either way-I'll be thinking of you!!

Seth

hodo

Member III
beer can races?

How do you race beer cans? Are they like Valiants? How do you know bow from stern? Where is the mast? etc... Seriously, what kind of beer would you drink from a can? OK, other than Guiness. Sounds like Seth might be onto something. As for an overnighter, that distance would need to be covered by air or the Victoria boat out of Seattle. Harold:devil:

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
Beer Can Racing Rules - Defined

Oh - a little early for that, no? :D

Beer can races are extremely informal races...you can see the complete 'rules' over at Laditude 38's 'Wisdom Pages'.

My favorite is No. 5: Thou shalt not amp out." Of course, No. 4 is good as well: "Thou shalt not run out of beer." :egrin:

//sse

Seth

Sustaining Partner
Overnighting in BC

If any if you are pilots and up for the commute to Whidby (I think that is where they are), I'm in-I am also a pilot and used to cover that area selling small airplanes-even did what little floatplane time I have right out of Shilshole.

More realistically, I would stay local (maybe a 38 with a free forepeak?).;)

Of course, that assumes a lot, but it was a funny thing to bring up...I am at your service-as always.:egrin:

Cheers,
S

Stuart

Member II
Rendezvous thoughts

Hi All

I have a non descript slip number C-01; but I do think it puts me at the beginning of the docks, thereby making me the official tester of all refreshments being bought into the Viking area. So please, only single malts, good wine and slightly dark beer, can or bottles are ok with me though. Graham, please just bring the good stuff!:D

At my age I can’t believe I’ve been doing beer can races wrong all my life! In my era we shook the can, bit into the side of it, inhaled the contents and whoever could flatten the empty can on the table first, won. It seems no matter how the race goes the end result is the same, the can is empty at the end, I guess one is ever too old to learn new methods.

As far as an agenda goes, we have a facility for a pot luck dinner, it’s a tented area on the docks with some tables and chairs supplied by the marina but we will probably need to rent more. So we could do a Saturday night pot luck, which may or may not feature a live musician but details on that are being worked on by someone else.

I am thinking a little similar to last year for Friday, arrival and pot luck appies with a few bevies, perhaps a beer/wine exchange, bring you favorite obscure beverage and trade for someone else’s obscure beverage, this would be optional and if you don’t want to participate, just bring some Coors light!
Of course all beverages will need to be certified by the taste tester to be eligible (see first sentence). :egrin:

The blindfolded dingy race……… I have been trying to think of something to make it a little more challenging, maybe less about speed. Sort of like most accumulated points of three categories: first category for a score from 1-10 is for the two who return with the emptiest beers, both the navigator and the oars person have one beer each to finish during the race. The second category for a score from 1-10 could be anything, as in our case last year, who returns the wettest? The third category, for a score from 1-5, is placement at the end of the race, 1st, 2nd, 3rd etc. Comments or ideas? Gord would you be interested in organizing this event again this year?:D

Saturday:
As we have no budget, as kind an offer as we have on the table, we have no money to pay for expenses unless we really get organized, in fairness to our potential speaker I would recommend collecting in advance, if we are to do something like this.
Other stuff: morning sail, back to the dock for lunch, guest speaker or afternoon antics about 1:30 (dingy race and some new tests of boating skills (suggestions!!!!) with free time following (read as pub crawl) until the pot luck dinner, about 6:30.

T shirts are being worked on, thinking to have as a package of two shirts and one burgee. What are the opinions of going to printed only, no embroidery as in the past and greater volume? This should bring the cost of the package to about 30.00, but this is not firm yet. A lot of the cost depends on the shirt design which is currently being worked on by others. Comments on this thought??????
I am going to Sidney this Thursday and will be at the Marina, does any one have any suggestions of things I should look into?
Cheers
Stuart

Graham Cole

The Zoomer
How about a keg...Got one in Silva Bay last summer at the pub. Kinda changed the center of buoyancy in the 'ol Walker bay 8, I tell ya! Can we get a keg in Sidney? I find the more I keg, the more charming I get!

Gord Bell

Member II
Stuart, yes I will be happy to work on the blind dingy races. If we have a catagory for the wettest crew I think that Heather would get that based on her prefomace last year. For the t-shirts, put me down for a package, size xl.
cheers Gord
Huckleberry

hodo

Member III
Look into

Hi Stuart, Two things I can think of needing a look at are fuel facilities, and ice facilities. Might also be handy to know a bus schedule or good taxi . Be careful, however, to NOT look into the bottom of an empty mug, unless you are trying to see the next one. By the way, anyone know the allotted alcohol capacity we can take into B.C. ? How is everyone handling the border crossing [each way]? I heard at the boat show that customs at Boeing Field now has the ability to take the needed pictures.:cheers: Harold & Jessie :devil: