2006 NW Ericson Rendezvous - Discussion

mark reed

Member III
something else to look into

hey Stuart,
The agenda is shaping up well! One thing I might suggest for your visit tomorrow is to investigate locally available speakers (it would be great if Seth could come, but expenses from Chicago?). One thought is someone from Blackline Marine, operating out of Canoe Cove, just north of Sidney. Phone 250-656-6616. They do great FRP work and rigging, two things of potential interest to those of us with aging boats! I worked with their rigger there a few years ago, and he was great, but unfortunately I've lost track of his name.
Also, if you've never visited the Stonehouse Pub, I highly recommend it! It is just a short walk through the woods from the Sidney BC Ferries terminal.
Cheers,

Richard Elliott

Member III
Lots of ice at the Sidney Marina, but fuel is a couple of miles North at Van Isle Marina. I believe liquor allotment is one liter per person. Fortunately, Sidney has a new liquor store down near the Marina.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Customs?

It's been over a decade since I have visited BC by private boat. Where would we clear customs if going to Sydney?
I have been looking for an appropriate info web site, but seem to be 'net-challenged this morning...
Thanks,
Loren

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
Shirts...

Stuart said:
...What are the opinions of going to printed only, no embroidery as in the past and greater volume? This should bring the cost of the package to about 30.00, but this is not firm yet. A lot of the cost depends on the shirt design which is currently being worked on by others. Comments on this thought??????....

All things equal - I would prefer embroidery - and would pay more for such a shirt. I think they're nicer, last longer, etc... What do the designs look like?

//sse

Richard Elliott

Member III
Rendezvous Reservation

Karen and I will be in slip C-11 aboard E34 Chandelle. Looking forward to seeing everyone again. Can we lean on BigBlue a.k.a. North Sails for prizes, etc.? I just took delivery of a new North main.

maggie-k

Member II
Hi All I'm new to the list but plan on attending the rendezvous this year as it is in my back yard in Sydney. Any questions about the area I would be happy to answer.
1) there is a beer store 1 block away from the marina
2) the run runner pub is at the marina and another at the bees store.
3) I would suggest a speaker from Yachtech if you want top notch riggers. they make and sell stuff to Brion Toss. Great Guys.
4) I have friends who are opening a new pub and resturaunt in Sydney who are die hard sailors . They may be willing to host an event.

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
maggie-k said:
...4) I have friends who are opening a new pub and resturaunt in Sydney who are die hard sailors . They may be willing to host an event.

You Canadians are so friendly.... :egrin:

//sse

maggie-k

Member II
Ya.......and we like our beer too !! If you need a hand finding speakers I have a few connections here , let me know what your looking for and I should be able to fill the slots

hodo

Member III
Speaker

I know the guy [Jean-Guy] that was the navigator on Oriole, the tall masted ship out of Victoria if you folks are intrested. He lives in Victoria area. Harold

Richard Elliott

Member III
maggie-k

Let's not ever turn down an offer from a Canadian who has connections to a pub! I swear all those Canadian CG folks who came aboard in Sidney for a party drank all the alcohol, barely stopping before tackling the stove fuel!

Stuart

Member II
Thanks for volunteering

Hi All

I just want to thank everyone who has been helping and volunteering to help with the PNW rendezvous, as things come together you can bet on being called upon. Until then let’s keep planning to make this a great year.
As far as a guest speaker goes, we have lots of ideas coming forward. An electronics talk could be interesting, the navigator on Oriole as well, we had Brion talk on rigging last year and he might be a hard act for another rigger to follow unless they were pretty inventive. I have asked some world traveling sailors if they might consider spending some time with us, telling tales of high sea adventure and cruising life, but don’t expect to hear back from them immediately so I would not wait if something else that interests everyone comes up.
I would suggest the same time as last year for the guest speaker, I think it was from 1-3 on Saturday, anyone remember exactly?
If the friend’s that are opening the pup let us in for beer tasting and samples of new suds for breakfast, might be a totally different day. Or maybe instead of the pot luck dinner we go there for a fixed plate cost dinner and beer tasting. We had about 100 at the pot luck last year. Just some thoughts, comments?
Cheers
Stuart

Last edited:

maggie-k

Member II
Hi Stuart . I Believe I could get Bob Goth the chief rig designer for Yachtech to give a talk on modern Rig design and manufacture. He is one bright fellow. Yachtech is the oldest rigging shop on Vancouver island. Pretty much anyone else has at one time worked for them. They manufacture custom tapered masts which are sold around the world. Many riggers such as Brion Toss and Blackline are regular customers of Yachtech and use yachtech tapered mast sections and parts. Yachtech build very high end spars,
http://www.yachttech.com/Spars.htm
It just happens Bob also is a part owner in the new pub I mentioned earlier in Sydney !!

Cheers and Beers
Eric

Last edited:

maggie-k

Member II
Hi all, I just spoke to Bob and Rena Goth , he would be happy to give us a talk on rig design, tuning and inspection as well he can work out any thing we want in his new bar along the lines of food drinks . He was saying we could have the whole bar for a private function if that was in line.
Bob and Rena have lived on a CT 41 for over ten years ! Ya I know it's not an ericson but they do own a bar !

Eric

Stuart

Member II
speaker

We have lots of options for a guest speaker with many great ideas being brought forward. The question is, what would the majority like to see happen?:rolleyes:

I have one more possible option to toss in the ring as well. Today I attended the Vancouver Boat $how and was lucky enough to have a chat with Derek Hatfield, skipper of the Spirit of Canada. He raced in the last around the world Alone Race in a 40’ boat he built, a rather interesting story. He is currently building a 60’ for the 2006 single handed race. Depending on his schedule, he said we would be interested in speaking at our Rendezvous and provided me with contact info to try to arrange it.
Before trying to arrange this, would this be of interest to the group?
This is the link to his web site: http://www.spiritofcanada.net/archive/team_skipper.html.

mark reed

Member III
Derek and/or Seth?

Sounds like Derek Hatfield has a good story to tell. I'd be interested in having him as a guest speaker.
Also, has there been any more discussion on inviting Seth? He hinted that he would be willing to come if we helped with expenses. I don't know how much $$ he needs, but if there are enough of us to pitch in, it might be worth it just to have him coach us on sail trim, etc. I know I for one could use the help.