• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E27 Mast head sheaves

Haiku

Member II
I need to replace the sheaves on my '76 E27. I will also the be converting to all-rope halyards. I have already received a quote from Zephyrwerks.
I'd like to do the work with the mast still standing.

My plan is to climb the mast using a Top Climber and one of the halyards. Then drill a hole in the mast head itself, attach a large shackle and run a line back down to the mast base and use this line to climb back up. Then theoretically I can pull the axles, remove the old sheaves and install the new.
Is this possible? This is how the current topping lift is installed.

Thanks

Last edited:

Vagabond39

Member III
Oops

I need to replace the sheaves on my '76 E27. I will also the be converting to all-rope halyards. I have already received a quote from Zephyrwerks. I'd like to do the work with the mast still standing. My plan is to climb the mast using a Top Climber and one of the halyards. Then drill a hole in the mast head itself, attach a large shackle and run a line back down to the mast base and use this line to climb back up. Then theoretically I can pull the axles, remove the old sheaves and install the new.
Is this possible? This is how the current topping lift is installed.

Thanks
That is fine, if you dont drop any parts.
After that it gets old fast.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I don't like it. Time to yank the spar and do all the checks and maintenance you need.

Agree.
If Haiku has access to a mast crane at his yacht club or marina, this is a "small" enough spar that most any crane can lift it. We have one at our YC for boat spars that size and even a bit bigger.

Loren

Glyn Judson

Up the mast on one halyard, a bad idea.

Christian, I have to thank you for what you said. I was tempted earlier to offer my thoughts and you inspired me to do so now. I personally know of three, that's THREE riggers who suffered horrible falls from atop a mast. Two of them spent the rest of their lives in wheel chairs and the third, a local Marina del Rey woman rigger, was in hospital for weeks if not months after her extreme fall. One of the former riggers rolled off a dock in his chair late one night and drowned and I haven't seen the woman rigger in several years, probably stopped rigging. Furthermore, years ago I was assisting a friend to go up his mast in a boatswain's chair, and we made certain there were two halyards attached to him. Just as sure as God made little green apples, the main halyard failed and he came up short on the emergency one. That's the honest truth because I was there to see it with my own eyes. Please dear friends, do not rely upon a single halyard to go up any mast, take Christian's sound advise to drop the mast in the yard and service/swap sheaves or anything else with both feet safely on the ground. In hindsight I'm sure all three of those riggers had wished they had a safety halyard and for many of us folks the price of serious injury could be the extreme cost of trying to save time or a few bucks. Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55 Marine del Rey CA

Haiku

Member II
Thanks for all the advice. Unfortunately, where my boat is located there is no access to anything to lower the mast.

I was up the mast a few days ago and did use one halyard to climb and was also attached to the other halyard as a backup with someone on deck taking up the slack.

The idea would be to climb the mast using the newly installed line, which would be 5/8" high strength line and heavy duty shackle while also being clipped on to one of the original halyards. Giving it more thought I guess I could drill two holes - one on the front and one on the back of the masthead - thereby having two lines to use. One to climb and the other as a back up while still leaving the sheaves available to remove. I have a lot of large blocks, shackles and line from my father's previous boat, a C&C 41 so in that regard, I'm not worried about strength.

It's not ideal. I would rather take the masthead off and have full access. Unfortunately I don't have that option.

For those who have done this job, is the masthead hollow? As in, if I accidentally drop one of the sheaves, will it fall down inside the mast itself? I should have taken pictures when I was up there.

Thanks!

Dylan

Haiku

Member II
halyards to the cockpit

I might as well ask this question in this thread as well. As part of this entire project, I will be bringing the halyards back to the cockpit. I already have a spare winch, double rope clutch and double deck organizer. The question is what to do at the base of the mast where the lines will turn 90 degrees? Garhauer has a mast plate that would
work well I think.
attachment.php

Or would stand-up deck plate blocks work? Or any other better ideas?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 1,016

davisr

Member III
If I'm not mistaken, the spars for the E23, E25, and E27 are the same. Therefore, this article will probably be of some help to you, as there are detailed pictures of the masthead within it. It wasn't easy for me to remove the masthead (or reinstall it for that matter) with it sitting on sawhorses right in front of me. I also had to carry out some unexpected repairs. I think Christian and Glyn are giving you some sound advice. I'd find a way to get that mast down.

http://www.ericson25.com/2015/07/rigging-running-wire-rope-halyard-to.html

Roscoe
E25, Oystercatcher

Vagabond39

Member III
If I'm not mistaken, the spars for the E23, E25, and E27 are the same. Therefore, this article will probably be of some help to you, as there are detailed pictures of the masthead within it. It wasn't easy for me to remove the masthead (or reinstall it for that matter) with it sitting on sawhorses right in front of me. I also had to carry out some unexpected repairs. I think Christian and Glyn are giving you some sound advice. I'd find a way to get that mast down.

http://www.ericson25.com/2015/07/rigging-running-wire-rope-halyard-to.html

Roscoe
E25, Oystercatcher

Correct on the spars. There is only one chance for everything to go right, and many ways to go wrong. As President Harry S. Truman said when accused of changing his mind, "I reserve the right to be smarter today thaqn I was Yesterday."

geoatk

Member II
Climbing the mast

If you must go up the mast Take some climbing webbing up with you and make two back up connection points. If you can, make a third. Loop the webbing and use a carabiner to run your rope. I would equalize the pressure and use a climbing rope. It would give a a back up just in case a halyard failed. I don't think you would have to drill but could sling it through the mast head. One fore and one aft.

Geoff

Kevin A Wright

Member III
To answer your question, yes the mast head is hollow and if you drop a sheave it will end up at deck level, or caught in the electrical wiring from the steaming light half way down. Don't drop anything.

Having spent a fair amount of time at the top of my E27 in years past I can give you a few hints. But first, why do you need to replace the sheaves? Do you know they are bad? I switched to all rope halyards and never touched the sheaves. Worked just fine.

When you do the job, make sure you have a 'gofer' at deck level, and a bucket on a line that you can use to raise and lower all the tools and parts that you drop, forgot, or suddenly find you need. Also make sure the gofer is patient and able to sit very still for long periods of time while you are working. Someone walking around on deck on an E27 can make the top of the mast swing several feet from side to side, not condusive to precision work.

And as a safety backup, if you are an old climber and know how tie a prussic knot, you can tie one around the mast when you get up there or any time you are above the spreaders as a safety stop. Just pretend the mast is the ascending line. I've actually used a couple of prussics to climb a mast when someone let go of the main halyard and let the end shoot to the top of the mast.

Good luck!

Kevin Wright
E35 Hydro Therapy

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
I usually go to the top of my mast with a bosuns chair and a 4 to 1 block and tackle system every couple of years to do a inspection and to replace the wind cups on my anemometer. I have two Guys on the dock, one to hoist me and one to take up the slack while having the line "s" around a secure dock cleat. The bosuns chair only get's me so high. I would not try doing anything as extensive as trying to replace the sheaves up there. Since you were already up there I assume you were able to inspect the old sheaves. Do they not turn at all? What are you using to get a hoisting line to the top of your mast with if your sheaves are bad?

I'm with Glyn, Loren and Christian, the wise old Men of the Sea that they are. This is not something I would want to tackle with the mast up. Here's a little diagram of what the assembly at the top of our E-27's might look like. Also a couple of pics when I had the professionals re step my mast after a complete re rig back in 2004. There is also a shot of the deck organizer my rigger fabricated for the base of my mast.

I see your in Vancouver BC. There must be several boat yards up there with cranes to do the job. If you can't get to a yard with a crane there are other ways to lower your mast as trailerable sailboats do. I like Kevin's suggestion of using a prussic knot. I'm gonna try to put that into practice!

Good Luck. Be Safe!

Attachments

• Mast sheaves.jpg
    Mast sheaves.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 135
  • New Rigging 1.jpg
    New Rigging 1.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 60
  • New Rigging 2.jpg
    New Rigging 2.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 78
  • Deck Organizer.jpg
    Deck Organizer.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
E-27 Masthead photo.

For those who have done this job, is the masthead hollow? As in, if I accidentally drop one of the sheaves, will it fall down inside the mast itself? I should have taken pictures when I was up there.

Thanks!

Dylan

I went back in my YouTube archives and took a screen grab of the masthead from this video I shot while I was aloft about five years ago. Also sharing the YouTube link: https://youtu.be/UDOT5yai9uE

Attachments

• Mast Head.jpg
    Mast Head.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 416

Haiku

Member II
Thanks again for all the helpful replies.

I have inspected the the sheaves and they are in rough condition. I use the jib halyard to lift my dingy onto the foredeck when I'm not using it. The halyard makes a terrible squealing noise when I lower it again. Gets all the dogs in the area barking and howling.
After climbing the mast last week, the jib halyard is now actually quite stiff as well so one of the sheaves may have finally given out. The new sheaves are currently being made by Ed at Zephyrwerks.

I have a Top Climber bosuns chair that I've used to climb the mast. Very simple but effective to use. Allows me to get all the way to the top and quite comfortably. I do like the idea of using climbers webbing (had to look up what it was) and have purchased some. I will use the original halyards to get to the top initially and then decide from there the best options to run another couple of lines back down again. I have so many options of line and blocks to choose from my father's previous boats that I can easily run even three lines down to the deck for extra safety. I will have someone on the deck as well.

While I do live in Vancouver, my boat is kept up on the Sunshine Coast; Pender Harbour for those familiar. For a cost, I could probably find some way of lifting the mast if I can't do the work while it's still standing. If that's the case, I'll wait until the sailing season is over and do it then.

I'm not concerned about the safety aspect as I will have at least one backup line initially and then at least two or three after I'm set up. Just don't want to drop anything! I think I'll tie some thin line around the sheaves to stop them from falling if they slip.

I have the new 5/16" XLS line on its way. Will be nice to get this project off the list.

Thanks again for for all the great ideas. This has been such a useful site throughout my refit.

Dylan

Last edited:

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Thanks again for all the helpful replies.

While I do live in Vancouver, my boat is kept up on the Sunshine Coast; Pender Harbour for those familiar. For a cost, I could probably find some way of lifting the mast if I can't do the work while it's still standing. If that's the case, I'll wait until the sailing season is over and do it then.

Dylan

I just checked the map. Pender Harbour is a considerable distance from Vancouver. That's a beautiful part of the world you live in. After looking at the photo of my masthead I posted I think it could be done. Maybe even I could do it. I have replaced not only the wind cups, but the metz antenna. But trying to pull those cotter pins out for the sheaves and insert new sheaves just might take at least 3 hands. One thing I have done with small pieces of hardware like nuts and bolts, is to use masking tape to hold on to them rather than fishing around for little parts in the pockets of my chair. Better bring extra cotter pins. Extra everything up with you. A messenger line is a must. Good luck and just to add to all you have to think about taking up there. Take some pics if you can.

:egrin:

Haiku

Member II
I do feel very fortunate to live here. We certainly have to pay for the privilege, but I do think it's worth it. Though having grown up here, I am bias.
For convenience sake I would love to have the boat in Vancouver where I live to be able to go and work or sail whenever I want. However, for anyone familiar with moorage costs in Vancouver, as well as having to deal with the zoo we call English Bay, I'm very happy paying a quarter of the cost for moorage and being surrounded by some of the most beautiful boating destinations in the world. I will be heading to Desolation Sound and beyond third week of August which is why I'm trying to get this project done now.

Masking tape is a good idea. If I do drop one of the sheaves, Murphy's law says it will either go down inside the mast or bounce off the deck straight in to the water. Having played around with the climbers webbing for the afternoon, I'm certain it will work. The main issue, I think, will be to get high enough and being comfortable enough to be able to work with both hands for an extended period.

For people who have done this job, how difficult was it to remove the axles? I'm expecting some corrosion due to the axles being stainless and the mast head being aluminum.

And as long as I don't drop my phone, I will post pictures once complete.

Last edited:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Bringing in the Sheaves...

FWIW, and I have not (yet) had occasion to try this, but I saw a method in a book one time that called for using some tape and several feet of small line, like 1/8 or maybe 3/16.
You tape the end of the line to the center of the sheave, and then carefully rotate that sheave -- little bit at a time -- until the tape & line emerge. Then you un-tape the end and tie that line tight around the sheave. Now you can secure the free end of that line and you have a way to keep that sheave from dropping down the inside or the outside while you manipulate the axle with your third or fourth hand.... :rolleyes:

Cheers,
Loren

geoatk

Member II
Climbing webbing

Take up a longer length. Two two loops so it looks like and 8 and use the top to clip into and the other for your foot so you can stand. I would is a climbing harness. You could even go around the mast with some line so you can be hands free. I would have two loops on webbing. Ine to clip into and one so you are on belay. Look up setting up a belay station. It might give you some ideas. Make sure your baley system is backed up. Might even look up lobster claws.

Haiku

Member II
Complete. Sort of...

So I went up and came back down again 5 times. I didn't drop anything, including myself. I used a lot of climbers webbing, a lot of rope, and a significant amount of nerves.

It would seem my masthead isn't the typical Ericson 27 masthead. It is welded on with 2 5/16" x 0.61" sheaves all around. I took a chance and ordered what seemed to be the "standard" sheaves found on the E27. 2.5" x 0.48" and 3" x 0.48". Ed at Zephyrwerks confirmed he had had many orders of this same "standard" size. I was able to use the new 2.5" sheaves but the 3" would not fit. Which was ok because two of the original sheaves were in fine condition. I just filed them down a little and used a good amount of Teflon grease.

I had to go up and down the mast 5 times because I had to use the original halyards to go up the first time to set up the climbers webbing and had to block access to the aft end of the masthead to have an anchor point to climb back up without using the halyards. And then the opposite once the forward sheaves were done. I also had to remove the forstay to have enough room to remove the old sheaves. I used the climbers webbing, a prusik knot and a 4:1 block and tackle in lieu of the forstay.
I set up a climbing line, a back up line and when I was at the top I looped a piece of rope around the top of the masthead that had two carabiners from an old climbers harness and clipped myself in. So I had three lines holding me up.

The axles came out easily as did the old sheaves. The bearing in one of them was halfway out which I assume was the one making all the noise.

It it was a very long day. I spent about 4 hours total at the top of the mast. The new all-rope halyards are much nicer and run much more smoothly through the masthead. I was also able to inspect the standing rigging while I was up there and it all looks to be in very good shape.

All in all I am glad I did it. I'm frustrated that I didn't manage to get the correct size new sheaves, however, it is significantly better than before. Now I just have to try and sell the 3" sheaves to another Ericson owner...

Thanks for all the input and great ideas. Sorry for so few pictures. I discovered it was very difficult to remove my phone from my pocket while locked into the harness. I was also worried about dropping it!

Dylan

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 52
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 54
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 52

Haiku

Member II
Zephyrwerkrs

So I told Ed from Zephyrwerks my situation, just as a warning that it would seem that not all Ericson 27 mastheads are the same, and he very generously and unexpectedly told me he would send me a whole new, correctly sized, set.
I have received the new set, which are all 2 3/8" x 0.61", and will be installing them at some point in the not too distant future. I have already sent back the 3" sheaves and will be sending back the 2.5" sheaves once I get a chance.
So if any Ericson 23/25/27 owners out there are looking for new sheaves, Ed at Zephyrwerks has a set already made and ready to go!

It's nice to see that there are still some great business owners out there in this age of impersonal internet transactions. Especially considering the assumption error was all mine!