• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Ericson 25?? Trying to buy my first sailboat, please help!!

beachbum18

Hi everyone!
I am trying to buy my first sailboat and after months of research I have decided on a Ericson 25. I am going to look at one, I think, tomorrow. The heading says 24, the body says 27 and the guy I talked to on the phone says 25. You guys know these boats better then anyone so please look at the photos on the link for it and let me know what you think. The link is http://eastnc.craigslist.org/boa/2469940568.html or you can go to craigslist eastern nc and type sailboats and look for ericson 24. He would not give me a lot of info over the phone and no hull id number., just said come look at the boat, it's a boat yard. I just have not seen one like this in the pics or blueprints I have seen. This is a pic. Please let me know!!
3n43mf3p05T45R65S1b6t206915175b8c1d99.jpg

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Picture looks like an Ericson 23 Mk2.

Tape measure will tell the tale...
Not to mention reading the HIN code on the transom.

If so, very nice pocket cruiser with a very good sailing reputation.

LB

Last edited:

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
Yeah, check the HIN on the transom. If it is a 27 made in 1977 as he claims it should read something like ERY27XXX... (It doesn't look like a 27.)

If a 23 or 24 (did Ericson even make a 24?) or 25, ERY23XXX... , ERY24XXX... or ERY25XXX...

It sounds like he really doesn't know what he has. I wonder if he has any kind of documentation? I wouldn't hand over any money until I saw a title. That should have the HIN and date on it as well.

It would be best to have someone with some sailing experience check the boat out for you or pay to have it surveyed. Ask him to run the motor, too.

New bottom paint is a plus, though...

Last edited:

mherrcat

Contributing Partner