YS wheel replacement

steven

Sustaining Member
I have a 48" wheel on a YS pedestal. I'm thinking of dropping down to a bit smaller wheel.

Is this straightforward (wishful thinking I bet) or is there something special about a YS hub?

thanks

--Steve

Shaggy

Member II
48"...?

Howdy, Steve -

Are you sure that is a 48" wheel...?

The old YS catalog PDF I found shows 40" to be their largest...? I am no expert, though....

I believe their 1" diameter straight shaft wheels were standard and interchangeable.

Current Edson replacements are made in both 3/4" and 1" diameter hubs in either straight or tapered shafts.

Funny coincidence...I have a 36" YS on my E38 and was casually looking for a 40" wheel.

Please let me know if you would be interested in figuring out some kind of swap. Shipping may be prohibitive though.....

Sometimes the Marine "Used" chandleries like Minney's Yacht Surplus in Newport Beach, CA have a decent wheel or two...kind of hit and miss....lots of junk to paw through....

Let me know, and best of luck...!!

Curt

markvone

Sustaining Member
Steve,

Curt is correct. The YS pedestal has a 1 inch straight shaft with 1/4 inch key. Any wheel with a matching hub will fit. Going smaller is a piece of cake.

The E33/36RHs came with 42 inch YS wheels which are the largest diameter you can fit without a pedestal lift. I'd bet the E38 came with a 40 inch wheel because much bigger will hit either the deck below or the cockpit sides at the seat level. The sides are usually most limiting.

Some PO changed my wheel down to a 36 inch before I bought it. Two years ago I got a 48 inch wheel from Bacon's in Annapolis, lifted the pedestal 3 inches and installed it. Bacon's always has a selection of wheels, 40-30 are quite common. I still have my 36 inch YS wheel if you want to borrow it for a test.

Mark

steven

Sustaining Member
Curt,
measured it - you are right it is a 40".
PO probably installed along with E38 rudder (which is great).

Mark,
Thank you for your kind offer to try your 36". I am winterizing early this year.
So deferring this project to spring.

--Steve

markvone

Sustaining Member
Steve,

I'm saving the 36 inch YS wheel just in case a future owner feels my 48 inch wheel is too large. For now, it's just sitting in storage if you want to try it in the future. Probably a ten minute swap with a crescent wrench and rubber hammer.

Mark

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I also have a 36" YS wheel that anyone can have. It's at Pacific Marine in Bellingham, and came with a used pedestal I briefly had.

Yours if you can use it.