Yellow patchs showing on the UV cover??

jav317

Member III
I had replaced the UV cover on this North 130 Genoa in Sept '21. The yellowing showed up a couple of weeks ago. The sailmaker said it must be from the adhesive North Sails used when they first made the sail. Has anyone ever seen this?
The sail is like new, but it doesn't look nice like this.

Attachments

• 20220129_130750.jpg
    20220129_130750.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 13
  • 20220129_130952.jpg
    20220129_130952.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 15
  • 20220129_131035.jpg
    20220129_131035.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 14

Rocinante33

Contributing Partner
In only four months? I would not be happy with them. Why would North sails use an adhesive which discolors? North sails are not cheap. I would ask them to make it right.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
If this was a North sail, and the repair was done at a North loft, my experience is that they would do a better job. Or, remedy the problem if their repair caused it.

jav317

Member III
In only four months? I would not be happy with them. Why would North sails use an adhesive which discolors? North sails are not cheap. I would ask them to make it right.
I don't know the age of the sail. It's in great shape, I would think less than 5 years. I had the new UV cover put on at Ullman sales and of course they say it must be from the adhevise North used when they first made the sail. I've contacted the North Loft here in San Diego and waiting for there reply. I should have waited until I got the boat here to replace the UV and taken it to North Sails. That might have had a better out come.

gabriel

Live free or die hard
Sorry about your sail. If it helps any:

I have a few spots like this on my sails which I thought were rust but my sail maker quickly corrected me that they were UV damage from that part of the sail sitting crinkled and exposed (along with moth holes I never noticed).

My sail is really old.

jav317

Member III
I contacted North Sails here in San Diego they were very helpful. They looked at the pictures and said that it is the spay Adhevise that is yellowing. They also said that it will turn to powder and most likely not be visible. So, we shall wait and see. Thanks everyone for your input.