Yacht Specialties Sprocket Replacement

jreddington

Member III
The Yacht Specialties steering pedestal sprocket on my '84 E-28 has some damaged teeth so that the steering has a kink in it while the chain passes over those damaged teeth.

I remember discussions here years ago about finding replacements. I believe the general consensus was that there were no spare parts available and that Edson components were not compatible.

While I would love a new Edson pedestal, I'd hate to spend big $s to replace the whole system. I had it re-powder-coated a few years ago and other than the sprocket, the system is in great shape.

Has anyone found replacements for Yacht Specialties parts, either a stash of old spares or a shop that can reproduce the part? Also, I thought there was a post of how to modify an Edson sprocket to fit the Yacht Specialties pedestal.

Tried some post searches on this site but couldn't track down old threads I thought I ran across a few years ago.

treilley

Sustaining Partner
Jim, a good local machine shop shoud be able to weld on new teeth and then machine them to match. Much cheaper than a completely new Edson setup.

BTW, if you replace the entire unit, I would be glad to buy the old one.