Yacht Specialties shifter control

JPS27

Member III
Can someone help me understand how to tighten the shifter control. I'm nearing the end of my repower ordeal, which included many other fixes etc. But when I put the pedestal back together the control arm for the shifter slips out piece it fits into that rotates the cable lever up and down inside the pedestal. While I'm happy the shifting is working swimmingly, it's not cool that I can yank the control arm out of the socket. When i disassembled I didn't now touch the throttle shifter arms, so I'm not sure why the one is slipping out. The throttle control is fine. Thanks for any help.

Jay

Attachments

• IMG_4078.jpg
    IMG_4078.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 617
Last edited:

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
I had a similar experience this fall on either the shifter or the throttle (can't recall right now). The bolt that tightens the arm to the rotating shaft was too long. I put a couple washers under the head of the bolt and it tightened up fine. I am not sure if understood your issue, but that's what I found.

Last edited:

JPS27

Member III
Thanks. I think you're describing what I'm facing. Where is that bolt you mentioned that needs to be tightened? I didn't see an obvious place where it would be. I can't access my boat at the moment, the ice and snow on the docks aren't conducive to going and checking. But I will double check first chance I get.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I may misunderstand, but my control levers are held in place with set-bolts.

You know, I have taken that stuff apart numerous times, and rarely get it put together correctly the first time.

control cables.jpg

JPS27

Member III
Thanks for the picture. And it's helpful to know that others have to redo things. :egrin: I'm having an oh crude moment and worried I may be undoing all the work I did to put the whole pedestal back together. I've attached a picture with arrows pointing to what I'm wondering about . I'm sure the fix is simple. I've only put the pedesagel and cables back together once so far. So I think this simple step is something I didn't pay attention to when taking things apart. How does that lever (longer blue arrow) tighten into the socket (shorter blue arrow)? Thanks.

shifter control pic from Yacht Specialties manual.png

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Thanks. I think you're describing what I'm facing. Where is that bolt you mentioned that needs to be tightened? I didn't see an obvious place where it would be. I can't access my boat at the moment, the ice and snow on the docks aren't conducive to going and checking. But I will double check first chance I get.

Assuming your shifter is on the left side of the pedestal in your picture, then the bronze arm that slides over the shaft has a stainless steel hex bolt that tightens it around the shaft so it can't pull out of the pedestal. My bolt has a grip length (the non-threaded part starting at the head) that is too long and therefore the arm doesn't clamp onto the shaft securely. I suspect that this is the problem with yours, too, if you have a bolt that is not all threads.

I pointed to the bolt head in the attached PDF. Put a couple stainless steel washers under the head and tighten it. The washers will prevent the grip from bottoming out and the arm will clamp onto the shaft properly.

View attachment Image1.pdf

I hope you get some relief from the snow soon!

Craig

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Thanks for the picture. And it's helpful to know that others have to redo things. :egrin: I'm having an oh crude moment and worried I may be undoing all the work I did to put the whole pedestal back together. I've attached a picture with arrows pointing to what I'm wondering about . I'm sure the fix is simple. I've only put the pedesagel and cables back together once so far. So I think this simple step is something I didn't pay attention to when taking things apart. How does that lever (longer blue arrow) tighten into the socket (shorter blue arrow)? Thanks.

Forget what I just said. I'll leave it in the thread in case it helps others.

I never had the lever come out of the shaft. But now I know it's possible. Is it threaded into the shaft? if so, then red "Loc-Tite" thread lock might be the solution you're looking for. The red colored stuff is "permanent."

JPS27

Member III
Craig, no problem. But, yes, the handle now comes out. There is a little resistance but it is clearly not supposed to be able to do that. It is not threaded. There is a grove at the bottom of the shift handle. Rather than ask more questions, I'm going to get to the boat when it's not a sheet of ice and do my best to assess how it might tighten up. There were no obvious places to tighten a bolt at the joint. But I was wondering now if if there is a rubber o-ring that fits in that grove or something similar. If anyone knows I'd love to hear. In the meantime I'll do some more investigation. Thanks again.

JPS27

Member III
ice bound for now

I tried to get to the boat yesterday afternoon to do some more firsthand inspection of the shifter handle fits in the slot. But I didn't dare venture out onto the boat especially without someone else around. I thought the sun might have melted the ice on the docks but alas even the marina is frozen over. According to the weather reports looks like I'll need to wait until Saturday.

Ice bound.jpg

JPS27

Member III
Missing some sort of fastener?

Does anyone know what the missing piece looks like? I'm embarrassed to say that I didn't take pictures and I don't have whatever piece is missing. In the picture it clearly looks like something should be inserted in the opening. This would press against the handle opposite the spring loaded pin on the other side (pedestal side). I cleaned out gunk that was in there and it does not seem to be threaded. Being a Yacht Specialties brand there don't seem to be any options for finding extra parts. Thoughts? Thanks.

IMG_4138.jpg

Carefree Sailor

Member II
Does anyone know what the missing piece looks like? I'm embarrassed to say that I didn't take pictures and I don't have whatever piece is missing. In the picture it clearly looks like something should be inserted in the opening. This would press against the handle opposite the spring loaded pin on the other side (pedestal side). I cleaned out gunk that was in there and it does not seem to be threaded. Being a Yacht Specialties brand there don't seem to be any options for finding extra parts. Thoughts? Thanks.

View attachment 15906
I have a YS pedestal but the handles don't look like yours, as shown in the picture below. I believe both the starboard and port side handles are the same. Unfortunately, all I have is a photo from the starboard side. As you can see, there is no hole at the end of the horizontal part and the vertical and horizontal parts are welded together.

Attachments

• DSC_1852.jpg
    DSC_1852.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 376

MMLOGAN

Member III
Not sure that you are missing anything

JSP,

Please see the pictures. I'm in the process of redoing my pedestal. Mine is a YS as well. My shift and throttle levers are both solid where your seem to have an open end. They slide through the side of the pedestal and ride on a plastic bushing/sleeve. Once inside they are connected to the cables via a clamp. This part was discussed above.
20150222_131720.jpg20150221_124120-1.jpg
If you want to PM me, I'd be happy to try and help.