Y S transmission shift/throttle knobs wanted

joe-fran

Member II
I bought a 1988 E-28 last summer. The knobs were missing for the shift and throttle. (The PO has passed away and his wife held on to the boat for 4 years before deciding to sell it and she had no idea where they went). Anyway the pedestal is a Yacht Specialties and the thread pattern measures 1/4 20. I have searched several places (West/ Defender/ my local marine shops etc) and the only available knobs are 3/8 24. Any suggestions?
Thanks Joe

bayhoss

Member III
Shift / Throttle knobs

Do you know what the replacement knobs are made of ? One solutition is to make a 1/4 x 20 threaded insert and thread it into the 3/8 hole.
Best,
Frank

Cory B

Sustaining Member
Wood

For our old boat I just bought some round wood knobs at Home depot, drilled/tapped them, and spraypainted them. I'm sure Tim's idea of stainless balls above would be better, but I hate drilling stainless if I can avoid it.

joe-fran

Member II
Thanks for all the suggestions!!

I love this EYo_Org site!!.

You are never stumped by any problem - big or little.

I ordered exactly what I need today from McMasters-Carr.
(and bookedmarked their site for future needs)

Another new resource.

Thanks

Joe

treilley

Sustaining Partner
McMaster-Carr has all sorts of knobs drilled and tapped. Here are 1/4-20 round knobs.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#knobs/=59h674

Great info Tom. I did not realize they already had knobs there are tapped. I might have to get me some brass ones

Joe, McMaster-Carr is by far the best internet resource for all kinds of stuff. I cannot even begin to tell you how much stuff I have bought from them over the years.

Last edited: