WTB fixed small ports for 32-2

ChrisS

Member III
If anyone has a pair of small fixed portlights for the 1970s Ericsons sitting around in decent shape (overall size 14"x6") please let me know. I just rebuilt the sliders and they still leak. The closest size I can currently find is the Lewmar size 1 which will require me to enlarge the holes and therefore change the profile of the cabintop (plus I'll be out another $400).

Thanks!

ChrisS

Member III
Greg--

The problem is that I'd rather not change the profile of the cabintop--the Lewmar port is bit larger, and I want to replace the middle small port on each side. If I can't find used ones, I plan on going this route, and then I'll upgrade all six in time $$$$$$$$$$$$. Better ventilation, and no leaks.

Keeping my fingers crossed that someone has a used pair.

gareth harris

Sustaining Member
If you do not need them in too much of a hurry, I think I have two extras in decent shape at my boat. They are not at all shiny being 1972 vintage, but quite serviceable and have had the gasket replaced.

I am replacing them as part of making my boat seaworthy for ocean crossings.

Gareth
Freyja E35 #241 1972

ChrisS

Member III
Gareth--

That's a great offer that I may take you up on. I rebuilt a pair of sliders, and despite my best efforts, they sill leak.

When do you plan on replacing the windows? Also, what ports are you going to install in their place?

gareth harris

Sustaining Member
The sliding openings are infamous, and I have yet to hear of a successful rebuild. I replaced mine, as many others have done, with:

http://en.lewmar.com/products/index.aspx?lang=1&page_id=104&part_number=393120200

The reason for later replacing all of mine was as part of a complete rebuild after hurricane damage, the nature of which left me able to choose pretty much any size.

Lewmar also make a port a similar shape to the aft Ericson originals, the 4L and 4R, but they are just slightly smaller, so can not be used as replacements without major fibreglass work.

Gareth
Freyja E35 #241 1972

Last edited:

tenders

Innocent Bystander
Must you have metal frames? Plastic frames can be painted to look much more like metal than the 35-year-old aluminum you've got in the rest of your windows.

Mark Plastics shipped me two of the smaller windows with plastic frames and tempered glass yesterday. They were less than $100 apiece. My previous replacements from them (in 1993 when I removed the original opening frames) were plastic frames and plexi windows. The frames lasted beautifully, the plexi crazed.

http://www.macraesbluebook.com/search/company.cfm?company=588400