WTB Ericson 35 East Coast (MD)

sailor11767

Member II
I've fallen in love with the Ericson 35-2 (although I suspect a -3 is an even better boat, I don't think I can afford it). Given my budget, I'm looking for one that needs a little TLC. Does anyone know of a good value 35 in the mid-Atlantic area? I'm in Annapolis, MD, but am willing to drive a while to look.

Thanks,

Harry
HarryK@Mochamail.Com

sailor11767

Member II
I've been all over the big three sites, and I saw that listing. At $35K, I think "a little overpriced" is an understatement. However, I will be contacting the broker.

I never cease to be amazed at people trying to sell things (houses, cars, boats, etc) that fail to include basic information and pictures!

Harry

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Harry,
You might want to add the late 70's E-34 to your prospect list, and maybe the early 80's E-33.
Distance is another variable -- what with diesel prices half what they were a short time ago and trucking being priced by the mile, you might want to expand your search radius an additional thousand miles.....
;)

Happy hunting,

Loren in the faraway Pacific NW

sailor11767

Member II
There is a 33 near here that looks WAY sweet. Unfortunately, at $35K, she's over my budget...
I'm fond of fractional rigs though.

On a related note, I need to clear a 53 foot bridge. Finding air draft information is really difficult. I *think* that the 35 and smaller (even the fractional 33, which will be taller for her length) are all less than 53 feet tall. Any thoughts on that?

Thanks,

Harry

steven

Sustaining Member
Harry,

I'm in the Annapolis area and have an E35-II. Absolutely great boat for the Bay (and for just about anywhere else of course). If you find something and want help looking it over, let me know. Can probably help you spot a lot of things a marine surveyor will miss.

--Steve

gareth harris

Sustaining Member
On a related note, I need to clear a 53 foot bridge.

A 42' mast on an E35 reaches 47' out of the water. Even if you have a 3' VHF antenna on top, 53' is no problem.

I have read some E35s had a 45' mast, but have yet to meet anyone with a mast that high.

Patience can pay off in a search for an E35, as they crop up fairly steadily. Note that at the age they are, if they have not had a lot of work done to them, then they will need it. Look closely at the work previous owners have done, they may have made significant changes you would not have made yourself, and of course the quality of work is highly variable.

Gareth
Freyja E35 #241 1972

sailor11767

Member II
I've discovered there is a very big difference between "window shopping on line", and actually looking at boats. There are two E35-2 I've found in the Annapolis area, one on Yachtworld and one on Sailboatlistings. The one on Sailboatlistings has been sold since April and they can't get the listing removed. The one on Yachtworld is listed with a broker who answers every question about the boat with a suggestion about another boat -- so I have begun to believe it is an expired listing as well.

I hope this isn't the norm for these online listings...

Harry

treilley

Sustaining Partner
Unfortunately Harry, you are at the mercy of the broker. There are good brokers out there but many can be very difficult to work with. If you can do an end around to find out who the owner is, you can let them know that their broker is not doing his job. I only suggest this as a last resort and not to imply you should try to bypass the broker and prevent him from getting his fee.

If the boat is federally documented you can look up the owner here. You can search by boat name.

http://www.st.nmfs.noaa.gov/st1/CoastGuard/VesselByName.html

You should also be able to locate the owner via state reg if it is registerred that way.

sailor11767

Member II
So I was walking the local Annapolis boat yards, looking for "for sale" signs, and found a 35-2 named Windsong on the hard. No for sale sign, but who knows. She looks a "little" tired, although the bottom is in great shape, and from the ground (which is hard to see, of course!) she seems fairly well equipped. She may be more in need of a spring cleaning than anything else. It was good to see that all the canvas (sails, bimini, etc) were taken off, so she is cared for. I find it disheartening to see canvas on a boat over the winter, as the winter storms pick them apart.

So I went home and looked her up. Bingo, I have an owner's name and address. She's a 1976.

So, how weird is it for me to call or mail the owner and say "have you ever thought about selling?"

I'm tempted....

Harry

sleather

Sustaining Member
Go for it!

So I went home and looked her up. Bingo, I have an owner's name and address. She's a 1976.

So, how weird is it for me to call or mail the owner and say "have you ever thought about selling?"

I'm tempted....

Harry

Harry, That's how I got my E23 in '85. There was a movement here to have the E23 designated as a 1 design in '78 and I was going to by a new one, but alas they chose the J24 instead. I had a list of all the owners, from the meetings, and kept in touch w/ a few of them. Lo and behold I got a call from one of the owners whose family had outgrown the E23(not surprising) and jumped on it before it was listed. The only problem is that I was "pegged" as an over-enthusiastic buyer so the negotiations were a bit....... compromised.;)

If nothing else you might get an opportunity to sail the boat at some point.