Wtb E37

Kevin Johnston

Member III
37E Produced

There weren't many E37's produced, 53 of them between 1973-1975. There are many more E38's and a variety of models to choose from within that length.
KJ

Last edited:

SLUSHFUND

There weren't many E37's produced, 53 of them between 1973-1975. There are many more E38's and a variety of models to choose from within that length.
I prefer the near flush deck and tiller of the E37 to the E38. The E37 was straight forward to sail/tune, tough and handled rough conditions comfortably. I felt the high freeboard made it a dry boat too.

I worked for an Ericson dealership in high school. The E37 was a serious improvement over the E35 and E32 we sold. The interior was open, not wet, and the helm actually had a feel with a groove. It was the first Ericson I could steer and feel the effect of the mainsheet, backstay, runners and vang. The E34T was the next Ericson that had a communicative helm.

The E39 is interesting, but I never sailed on one. E46 is too much boat.

Been looking at a Baltic 43 DP too. Looks and sails great. A little challenged in light air, but loves 15+. The Baltic is a poor mans Swan. The teak decks with the high repair costs scare me too.

The Baltic is more than I want to spend and the Ericson will perform equally on the great lakes for considerably less. The Baltic has a split cockpit which is great for racing, but is confusing for cruising.

The E37 cockpit with the primaries in the back needs fixing too. The E37 cockpit drains seemed small and I felt the cabin entrance was too low in the cockpit. I'd raise the entrance to prevent a full cockpit from entering the cabin.

If I can find an E37 tiller for a good $$, I should get many years with a reasonably quick boat that is comfortable in crazy conditions, dry, open interior, sub 6 foot draft, and is simple to sail short handed.