Wooden Cockpit Coaming

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
My 89' E 38-200 has 3/4" teak covering the top of the cockpit coaming. I have not seen this on any other 38's that I have seen pictures of. All of the others have either had no teak in the cockpit or maybe a strip along the transom under the pushpit stanchion bases and stern cleats. Any thoughts here?

Glyn Judson

Ted, If your E38 was built anything like our E31's were, I can tell you for a certainty that many features of these boats were offered as options, that teak cap rail being one of them. The final configuration of an E31 as it exited the factory doors was strictly a function of the depth of the pockets of the original buyer. I have detailed records to back up my assertion that there were no two E31's built alike and it could be that your boat was treated the same way with options requested by the first owner. It might be fun for you to visit other E38 owners and their boats to compare notes and see what other options your boat or their boat have. I suspect that you'll be very surprized. Regards, Glyn

u079721

Contributing Partner
Not on ours

You can see from the photo below that the only teak in our 1989 E-38 cockpit was the taffrail. I liked the lack of maintainance, but the extra traction would be nice.

Attachments

• 5 Dock-stern.JPG
    5 Dock-stern.JPG
    90.9 KB · Views: 368

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
Yeah I have the taffrail as well as the coamings. Need to pull the cleats and primary winches to refinish this spring. I pulled the grabrails and have 12 coats of varnish on them now. Thought about pulling these pieces too but it looked like a pita. Plan to make some sunbrella covers this spring so I done end up revarnishing every year. I like the wood myself. Its not too much esp. since i grew up on a 35' mohogany yawl that was nothing but a floating epiphanes ad...Now that was maintennance.