Wood screws: bronze or stainless?

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
I am replacing a Formica covered plywood panel in the forward end of the v-berth with one covered with teak veneer. I have some bronze wood screws but was wondering if I should use stainless...

Emerald

Bronze is IMO, 100% on target. Not that there is anything wrong with stainless, but bronze could be considered the old school marine fastener material, and properly countersunk, can look nice and salty in woodwork, and depending on your tastes, might even be something you leave showing instead of covering with bungs.

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
That's what I was thinking. The bronze looks kind of nice. I hadn't thought of the bungs but the plywood is only 1/4" so I think it is too thin for that. I cut a ventilation hole in the middle that will have a teak trim ring and a cane grille.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I like bronze square-drive screws, with the tops flush with the teak surface...
But you knew I might say that. :rolleyes:
LB

edit: source for bronze screws : http://www.mcfeelys.com/

Last edited:

Emerald

I like the looks of phillips, but it's near impossible to find in bronze (especially as a machine screw). Slotted is the classic bronze screw, and what is often at hand. I need to check over at McMaster Carr to see what they have in the way of phillips type heads in bronze.

Mindscape

Member III
Bolt Depot

I was able to get some phillips flat head bronze screws from the Bolt Depot (boltdepot.com). Silicone Bronze to be specific.

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
I found flat head Phillips silicone bronze screws at West Marine. They aren't cheap but they are actual wood screws not self-tapping screws.

My main concern was not aesthetics but rather corrosion. The panel I am installing separates the v-berth from the area below the anchor locker; an area that seems prone to moisture. That is why I added the hole in the panel for ventilation.

There are lots of what appear to be brass screws used in wood trim throughout the boat that are corroded; this is what I wanted to try to avoid.

Last edited:

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
Realized after putting some other pics up I never put one up of my finished V-berth panel. Stain doesn't quite match the original wood, but, too late now...

Attachments

• 008s.jpg
    008s.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 81

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
Mark,

Although the stain isn't an exact match, it still looks very nice.

On our 1984 E30+ I kept the white board which is set off quite nicely by teak trim on our boat, and added a square plastic vent from West Marine, about 6" x4" in the centre to combat the moisture. I then added Captain Tolley's Creeping Crack Cure around all the pulpit bases on the bow, resealed the anchor locker, and that forepeak area has been totally dry for the past year, whereas it was damp and a bit musty smelling before.

Have you given any thought to replacing the vinyl/naugahide on the sides of the V-berth with wood?

Frank

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
My forepeak was damp/musty as well. It didn't look like there were any leaks so I figured it might have been condensation since that area is pretty well sealed up.

The vinyl really could stand to be replaced. It is loose around that panel as you can see, but I know it will be a major job to replace it so I am leaving it until I get a lot more ambitious...