Wood on the side of cockpit

Dferr

Member II
The E-38 I'm looking at, is a 1982. It has wood on the side of cockpit, where the winchs are. Was this an option from Ericson? It looks good! I haven't see it on other Ericson's of that era.

Attachments

• 100_0020.jpg
    100_0020.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:

Shadowfax

Member III
A friend of mine, who lurks on this list, has the same trim on his 38. I believe it is the same vintage as what you are looking at. What's the name of the boat, as his was for sale? Could be the same boat.

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
I have wood trim on my 89' 38 cockpit sides and transom. It is not the teak strips with black caulk between like this picture. Mine is two pieces scarfed together. It looks nice but it is a PITA keeping it that way. When I first got the boat it had been lathered in Cetol(SP?) I am not a fan of the stuff although it is a lot easier than varnish. I stripped it all off and applied 14 coats of varnish. I had to sand and recoat it all this spring as it was already starting to deteriorate. The big flat surfaces take a lot of pain from the sun. Teak is not really the best wood for varnish anyway with all the natural oil in it. The slightest nick in the varnish starts a blemish that has to be sanded out and recoated... Like I said its a lot of work. If you get covers you can really extend the life of the varnish but they are a pain to deal with too IMHO. I'll try and get some pictures up soon. I plan to keep up the varnish for another year or two then probably strip it all and just oil it. Its exterior teak...

treilley

Sustaining Partner
I remember reading in the manual for my 35 that the wood on the top of the cockpit sides was a factory option. I would guess that the 38 also offered this option. I have seen it on another boat but it was solid teak similar to what is on the top of the transom.