Winter weekend on Santa Cruz Island

saildad

Member II
Hello all Vikings
I just had to share some shots of On Porpoise out at yellow banks anchorage on Santa Cruz Island. The week preceding this weekend we knew thaht we had a good weather window for an overnighter at the island. What we werent prepared for was just how nice it was going to be. A very nice motor across then a brisk motor sail back in a building 10-15 knot breeze. I say motor sail because my damn upper furling bearing decided to seize up preventing the headsail from deploying:esad: I believe its been the inactivity that freezes up and thus I need to get down there and unfurl the sail every other week during the winter months...or replace it..stay tuned I will be addressing this as soon as this nasty winter storm passes through.
Capt Bill
On Porpoise
74 E35

Attachments

• 2008-01 sailing yellowbanks 037.jpg
    2008-01 sailing yellowbanks 037.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 60

saildad

Member II
more Santa Cruz Island pics

Had to include the shot of my good friends power boat. what a beautiful way to spend a winter weekend!
Capt Bill

Attachments

• 2008-01 sailing yellowbanks 040.jpg
    2008-01 sailing yellowbanks 040.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 83
  • larrysboat1.jpg
    larrysboat1.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 70
  • larrysboat2.jpg
    larrysboat2.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 63

Ericson27

Nice pics

Thanks for sharing

Looks like fun

Not so nice in Dana Point right now, nasty winter storm is right. :egrin:

Rocinante33

Contributing Partner
Bill,

Nice Pics! I see you had your boom swung out to starboard. Is that because you had a flopper stopper deployed from the end of the boom, or were you just making more headroom in the cockpit?

I have used a flopper stopper out there a couple of times, but with a poor outcome. It made my boat swing on its anchor!

saildad

Member II
Bill,

Nice Pics! I see you had your boom swung out to starboard. Is that because you had a flopper stopper deployed from the end of the boom, or were you just making more headroom in the cockpit?

I have used a flopper stopper out there a couple of times, but with a poor outcome. It made my boat swing on its anchor!

Yes Kieth that is how I rig the flopper stopper. When I get my spinnaker gear rigged back up I may use the spin pole so it will actually swing out even further.
I use the cal trans cone/chinaman hat type flopper stopper with a 5 pound mushroom anchor on the very bottom. I have used this arrangement for years with great results.A friend is going to let me have his flat style flopper stopper when he sells his boat so I will definately have a comparison.
I have never really had any adverse effects caused by the stoppers. Although I did have one gnarly anchorage when I was leaving the anchorage I actually pulled the stoppers and started dragging anchor. good thing the motor was running and we were ready to get right out of there.
BILL