Winter Checklist

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
While we're at it - do you fellow cold-climate sailors take your cabin cushions off the boat for the winter? why/whynot?
I leave the cushions on the boat because the cold won't hurt them. It doesn't get above freezing much in the winter so things generally stay dry.

I have had an occasional problem with condensation in the aft cabin so I put my dinghy oars under the cushion to allow air to get under it.

I do take the sails home to a dry room, but that is just to have more room when staying on the boat on the hard.

u079721

Contributing Partner
While we're at it - do you fellow cold-climate sailors take your cabin cushions off the boat for the winter? why/whynot?

Many of our friends did, but I think that depends on how wet your boat is inside the cabin. If there is any smell at all, or dampness, I would take them home.

Our boat was bone dry, with no odors, and we stored inside a barn anyway, so we left the cushions on board.

We also left our batteries on board, though some folks took theirs home. We were able to top off the batteries with a charger from time to time - but even if we hadn't been able, I'm still not convinced there is a freezing hazard with topped-off batteries left out in the cold over the winter. That, and the fact that the durn things weigh so much that I don't ever want to have to move them again!

adavid

Member II
For us saltwater guys I like to polish all the stainless one last time, spray all the blocks, sheaves, etc. with CorrosionX. Spray engine with CorrosionX. Treat fuel with diesel additive.

RT

Where do you purchase CorrosionX? Can you only get it online?

Thanks,
Andy
'86 E28