Window / Portlight repair or replace

LeifThor

Member III
On my 1972 35-2 the portlights were leaking, and faced with the choice of seeking out the leak or pulling the portlights (boat windows) and repairing, or buying new portlights, I chose to pull and repair the portlights. To replace was gonna be around $3,200, while reseating and repairing under $1,000. A prior owner had used a black caulking material (see attached photos) and it had been many years if not decades since the portlights had been taken apart and serviced well.

It was visibly clear many attempts were made to patch the windows all failing. All the frames were also coated with at least 2 heavy coats of deck paint, another attempt to seal them which failed while the black caulk-like material bled through.

I did one window first, to learn the time, effort, and money it would take times 8 more to scope the size of the project. The head portlight had been replaced already. The first window took 4 days. This was primarily because removing the black caulking turned out to be an incredibly had task. No one seemed to know what it was, but I did hear of a product after I removed it called “release agent” that melts it. The difficulty with it was it wasn’t dry. So when I’d pull the frame apart this tar-like material just spidered out and would attach itself to anything it touched. And once it did, scrubbing with a lot of acetone would sort of remove it. I looked everywhere online, and some people knew of this product not by name but for its difficulty to remove it.

I looked into sand blasting the frame, and they said it wouldn’t work, but if I used a really tough solvent like gasoline it might do the trick. I tried the gasoline solution and it worked but was super time consuming and a toxic nightmare.

I was about to give up and buy new portlights with money I didn’t have, when it dawned on me if the material sticks to everything give it limitless material to stick to and that might work.

So I went and got a bucket of sand from the beach and began scraping the frame with a scraper or screwdriver and it removed 95% of the material. It was more than happy to attach itself to the sand instead of my clothes, tools and anything else it touched.

After the sand bucket, then scrubbing with gasoline was quick and removed the last 5%.

Using paint remover I removed the many layer of boat paint leaving me the frame in naked aluminum only to discover...corrosion. On the first portlight the corrosion wasn’t bad,

I used butyl tape for gasket and butyl tape to seal the portlight to the boat. It looked 1,000 times better and was waterproof 100%.

I then removed the remaining 8 portlights, and once I got the tar material off along with numerous other sealants and removed the paint, i learned the one I’d repaired had the least corrosion damage.

I used Metalset A4, am aluminum epoxy that the military uses (when working with aluminum) and I swear by the stuff, tough as nails literally.

I built up the missing areas, and then sanded them till they looked like new.

Unfortunately A4 doesn’t look like shiny aluminum so I needed to paint them. I looked at powder coating them but was told it wouldn’t attach to the A4 repaired parts, so paint it was.

I went with KBS Topcoat Aerosol stainless color, and also used a clearcoat on the outside rim/flange. Great paint but takes 7 days to fully cure so heads up for that.

While they were curing, I epoxied the gaps between the hull and cabin shell in the openings. In short you could have a leak that runs to the portlight from above, and exit through the portlight giving the illusion your portlight is leaking when it’s not, the opening is. Also the way the portlights are designed, once you install the portlight, that gap remains open to the interior with smell as well as water leakage. Close that gap, and any leaks should run to the bilge area.

I assembled the portlights back together using butyl tape, and used butyl tape to seal to the hull.

It took 2 1/2 weeks during our covidcation (so I had the time more than the money), and cost $300 in butyl tape, paint, brushes, paint remover, good vapor mask, sandpapers, one safety glass replacement, gloves, rags etc.

They went back in yesterday and they’re solid and look great too.

Hope this helps anyone wondering if they should replace or repair their portlights / windows. It’s time consuming but saves a lot of money. And there’s a hundred ways one could have solved the task differently.

I would completely trust these portlights on a Hawaii passage any day now. And for the cost of one new portlight I got 9 instead.

Attachments

• D6156F50-6DF8-46AA-BB95-012C43B82FD9.jpeg
    D6156F50-6DF8-46AA-BB95-012C43B82FD9.jpeg
    139.1 KB · Views: 143
  • 9BE8EE6E-53B3-4E90-95E9-0B5A1A55A49B.jpeg
    9BE8EE6E-53B3-4E90-95E9-0B5A1A55A49B.jpeg
    169.1 KB · Views: 131
  • 091C33A3-8132-4373-8CD8-DF81C20DD723.jpeg
    091C33A3-8132-4373-8CD8-DF81C20DD723.jpeg
    127.3 KB · Views: 133
  • EE9B49D6-20E6-4915-A605-7C46A26B3272.jpeg
    EE9B49D6-20E6-4915-A605-7C46A26B3272.jpeg
    235.6 KB · Views: 136
  • 27917C82-A8FC-41FC-9E1B-D7179F478326.jpeg
    27917C82-A8FC-41FC-9E1B-D7179F478326.jpeg
    246.1 KB · Views: 132
  • EB24E048-FE35-403F-9C41-D785E397A89B.jpeg
    EB24E048-FE35-403F-9C41-D785E397A89B.jpeg
    270.6 KB · Views: 134
  • 045FAC51-A9B8-4001-AE4C-48D8F32ECA9D.jpeg
    045FAC51-A9B8-4001-AE4C-48D8F32ECA9D.jpeg
    106.6 KB · Views: 130
  • F7B79AC7-5349-4BA3-9935-44097E38A563.jpeg
    F7B79AC7-5349-4BA3-9935-44097E38A563.jpeg
    102.4 KB · Views: 134
  • 51C52CE6-8B71-4AF4-BA1F-2EC9211C09D5.jpeg
    51C52CE6-8B71-4AF4-BA1F-2EC9211C09D5.jpeg
    154.5 KB · Views: 141
  • C7CE82B8-D4E2-4DAC-B97B-84171C19DA3A.jpeg
    C7CE82B8-D4E2-4DAC-B97B-84171C19DA3A.jpeg
    258.2 KB · Views: 142

goldenstate

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
Great work, thank you for sharing. The sand bucket idea is very good.

How many hours do you think you invested in the entire project?

What brand were the portlights that you pulled, repaired and re-installed? (Mine are all Lewmar)

From what company did you get a replacement quote for new windows? (I have seen Bomar referenced a couple of times)

Congratulations on finishing a long project!

LeifThor

Member III
Great work, thank you for sharing. The sand bucket idea is very good.

How many hours do you think you invested in the entire project?

What brand were the portlights that you pulled, repaired and re-installed? (Mine are all Lewmar)

From what company did you get a replacement quote for new windows? (I have seen Bomar referenced a couple of times)

Congratulations on finishing a long project!
Thanks! It was 80-120 hours, but that was mostly due to the awful tar-like material and heavy paint that was there. Most portlights use different material so it’s more likely it would be less time for anyone else.

They were the original portlights that came with the boat. They’re 48 year old aluminum frames exposed to a marine environment.

I couldn’t find anyone that would built custom frames. Bomar no longer makes custom frames. Expect 200-350 for the small windows, unknown for the larger ones. If you go with stock frames, you’ll be likely cutting bigger openings and loosing the Ericson UFO looking windows shape.

My head window is a Lewmar, and it’s beautiful. I used caulking 4000 to seal it to the hull and it leaks like a sieve. Not the window’s fault, but the caulking. I’ll eventually reseal it using butyl tape, which is an utterly amazing product.

Best of luck!

Attachments

• 9085ED8F-E994-4BB4-BF07-CD3135317E62.jpeg
    9085ED8F-E994-4BB4-BF07-CD3135317E62.jpeg
    371.3 KB · Views: 71
  • 85635BA1-01AC-4893-A9AB-0EF5F5E2958A.jpeg
    85635BA1-01AC-4893-A9AB-0EF5F5E2958A.jpeg
    149 KB · Views: 69

1911tex

Sustaining Member
LeifThor: Great job...you earned your keep on this one. Just a note...I put these on my port lights...they did a 3 fold job for me...1) Helps eliminate future leaks; 2) as advertised...you can keep your ports open for air circulation without worry of rain entry; and 3) they give your windows/boat a custom look and had many compliments:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
They look Great!
For others with 70's Ericson's, there is a Seattle E-27 that was restored and raced a lot by former site member Nigel. He moved on, but his boat is pictured in some past threads and is also in our splash screen rotation. I mention his boat because he replaced the OEM framed ports with external acrylic lenses (might have been Lexan, but I do not know). They look really good and by eliminating the frame, one potential source of leaks is eliminated.
This is the same as the stock fixed-port scheme on the Olson's. I am about to replace ours because of UV hazing over the last 25 years. I will use Lexan again. Never one leak with this system either.
Anyhow, as previously noted, there is more than one correct answer.
:)

LeifThor

Member III
They look Great!
For others with 70's Ericson's, there is a Seattle E-27 that was restored and raced a lot by former site member Nigel. He moved on, but his boat is pictured in some past threads and is also in our splash screen rotation. I mention his boat because he replaced the OEM framed ports with external acrylic lenses (might have been Lexan, but I do not know). They look really good and by eliminating the frame, one potential source of leaks is eliminated.
This is the same as the stock fixed-port scheme on the Olson's. I am about to replace ours because of UV hazing over the last 25 years. I will use Lexan again. Never one leak with this system either.
Anyhow, as previously noted, there is more than one correct answer.
:)
Thanks for the compliment. Yeah everyone has their own preferences. When exploring new portlights, no one used glass anymore and I prefer glass since these 48 year old portlights are as clear as the day to boat was launched. Lexan is amazing stuff!

Looking at other boat portlights I notice three major systems- external/internal frames, screw through window to hull with gasket in between, and window glued to gasket, gasket glued to hull. These original frames have one advantage in that they do not put any screw holes into the boat itself the frame is screwed from the outside to the inside frame. But as you say there’s 100 ways to skin that cat:)

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Clear polycarbonate (Lexan, Makrolon) and Acrylic (Lucite, Plexiglass, Perspex) are both good materials for boats, but have somewhat different properties. One isn't necessarily "better."

Polycarbonate is stronger, but scratches more easily than acrylic. Acrylic cracks easier.

Acrylic is shinier and clearer.

Polycarbonate yellows in sunlight, acrylic does not.

Acrylic is cheaper.

Both materials are stronger than glass and lighter. Polycarbonate is used for unbreakable sunglasses and is bulletproof in layers. Acrylic is what most fish tanks are made of.

I chose acrylic for hatches and portlights. You can stand on my 1/2" companionway sliding hatch and overhead opening hatches. No scratches in two years of hard use.

I think either is fine.

hanareddy

Member II
On my 1972 35-2 the portlights were leaking...

I used butyl tape for gasket and butyl tape to seal the portlight to the boat. It looked 1,000 times better and was waterproof 100%.

Thanks for all the detail you shared! Looks great!! I have a question about the inside gasket (I am including a photo). What did you replace it with? I am going to try and do the same job as you on my 1973 E29. Starting with one of the portlights. I have been slow to start because of my uncertainty about this simple gasket. Thanks!20200524_075810.jpg

Parrothead

Member III
FYI, that is not a gasket or seal. It is a cosmetic vinyl mullion. The only source I have found for replacement is from Catalina Direct in their window reseal kit but I admit I haven't looked that hard.

LeifThor

Member III
Thanks for all the detail you shared! Looks great!! I have a question about the inside gasket (I am including a photo). What did you replace it with? I am going to try and do the same job as you on my 1973 E29. Starting with one of the portlights. I have been slow to start because of my uncertainty about this simple gasket. Thanks!View attachment 33974
That gasket on my portlights was long gone, and as far as I can tell serves no purpose.

Attachments

• E66C91BA-59DC-4352-BA57-41C8E9506888.jpeg
    E66C91BA-59DC-4352-BA57-41C8E9506888.jpeg
    143.1 KB · Views: 36

LeifThor

Member III
Thanks for all the detail you shared! Looks great!! I have a question about the inside gasket (I am including a photo). What did you replace it with? I am going to try and do the same job as you on my 1973 E29. Starting with one of the portlights. I have been slow to start because of my uncertainty about this simple gasket. Thanks!View attachment 33974
And thanks for the compliment! I personally prefer no gasket there as condensation from the glass when enough drips down Into the negative space where that gasket is and dries up. If you have that gasket any runoff from the glass will go on the inside of the fiberglass and run down your wall. Since I never had the gasket I can’t say for sure maybe someone who still has one can either say if this is true or not.

hanareddy

Member II
And thanks for the compliment! I personally prefer no gasket there as condensation from the glass when enough drips down Into the negative space where that gasket is and dries up. If you have that gasket any runoff from the glass will go on the inside of the fiberglass and run down your wall. Since I never had the gasket I can’t say for sure maybe someone who still has one can either say if this is true or not.
THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT I SUSPECT! I have the smallest buildup of water that is most likely coming in from the portlight based on moisture I have seen and felt. I also inspected several other potential leak sources and they have stayed dry during rain, which we've had a lot of. So, out goes this portlight today. I am going to cover the hole with shrink wrap while I clean it up. I want it to rain again before I rebed because I want to see if that wet spot stays dry in the absence of the window. Of course, I have confidence that my shrink wrap job will be leakproof (fingers crossed!). More on my efforts later!

hanareddy

Member II
I did one window first, to learn the time, effort, and money it would take times 8 more to scope the size of the project. The head portlight had been replaced already. The first window took 4 days. This was primarily because removing the black caulking turned out to be an incredibly had task. No one seemed to know what it was, but I did hear of a product after I removed it called “release agent” that melts it. The difficulty with it was it wasn’t dry. So when I’d pull the frame apart this tar-like material just spidered out and would attach itself to anything it touched. And once it did, scrubbing with a lot of acetone would sort of remove it. I looked everywhere online, and some people knew of this product not by name but for its difficulty to remove it.

I am.working on this right now and have been struggling, so I came back here and reread your post. Bravo! That was hard work! I have to go home and get some different tools and acetone. I foolishly didnt buy it because the line to get into home depot has been so long. I may end up purchasing adhesive remover.

Anyway, thanks for sharing your experience and congrats on getting it done on ALL your windows!

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
That mystery caulk sounds like a version of butyl tape. It has the property of not hardening. Sounds like it came off fine.

There are a hundred postings here about removing, replacing and caulking of opening and fixed ports that are informative reading.

keschuler

I'm getting ready to repair my 4 portlights (1974 E-27), and wanted to confirm - did you only use butyl tape, or did yo use any sealant or gaskets in addition to the tape? I have a leak in 1, possible 2 of them, and figured I'd fix them all while I'm doing it.

tpcorrigan

Member II
I'm getting ready to repair my 4 portlights (1974 E-27), and wanted to confirm - did you only use butyl tape, or did yo use any sealant or gaskets in addition to the tape? I have a leak in 1, possible 2 of them, and figured I'd fix them all while I'm doing it.

Hey Keschuler, I did my E27 port lights last year and used butyl tape on the outside. on the inside you can order the kit from Catalina its about $90 or was when I ordered and that will have both the gasket material around the glass and the trim piece for the inside. be very careful splitting the aluminum frames. Assuming yours are like ours it is one piece and not two. Getting the glass out is a pain. Be careful, Slow and steady. Enjoy your 27

p.gazibara

Member III
I just redid all my Portlights here in NZ. There is a Dow product all of the boatbuilders use here called 795. Apparently it’s used in high rises to both bond the windows to the frames and keep the leaks away.

It’s also known as neutral cure silicone.

It’s very friendly to work with, kind of like Sika.

I have found the 3M products sometimes come out runny and don’t quite stay where you put them.

I have used butyl in the past on thru-deck fittings with so-so success, then I was told you need to get “the right kind of butyl” not really sure what that means. It’s also reliant on fasteners to keep the seal. I have a feeling if you manage find the “right kind of butyl” it will last decades, but so should 795.

I highly recommend 795 so far. It took 3 tubes to do all 10 port lights and came to a cost of $130 NZ (including a $10 bottle of terps to dip your finger in while coving the outside). I’m going to run a bead on the outside of the larger fixed ports between the frame and the glass just to make sure we don’t have any leaks from that joint.

The PO used some sort of sika/4200 product. It lasted 2.5 decades, but the Pacific crossing wore it out. It took an afternoon with a razor knife and I was able to get all of the ports out without too much trouble.

-P

garryh

Member III
"My head window is a Lewmar, and it’s beautiful "
I have been bequeathed a set of six of these lewmar opening ports, they have been brutalized by every form of goop and silicone known to mankind; most are glued shut. The fellow who bought the boat did not want to take on the task and replaced them with new and basically gave them to me. I am hoping there is enough vertical cabin trunk to install them; they are at least an inch more in height. A winter project to refurbish them; I am going to use Un-Hesive to clean them up and will report back.
Question: Did you replace the gasket in the frame..? where did you source it. Looks like you also replaced the lens?

markvone

Sustaining Member
I am hoping there is enough vertical cabin trunk to install them; they are at least an inch more in height.
Garry,

The Lewmar (Size 1) fit the tiny cabinside of my E36RH as a replacement. You can make a template from the Lewmar specs (or print them from their website https://www.lewmar.com/sites/default/files/Lewmar-Support-Downloads/Product-Literature/Manual-B1439%20Hatch%20Portlight%20Fitting%20Guide%20from%20Web2010.pdf) to see if they will fit before you clean them up. They have the advantage of a large cutout compared to their overall size which allows you to open the hole in the cabinside. I never figured out how I would build up/fill in the existing cut out in the cabinside if the new ports needed a smaller cutout. Use a jig saw for cutting out in a few big pieces. I used a router and a guide template and got a beautiful, smooth cut out you'll never see and tons of fiberglass dust that took forever to clean up.

Mark