Wind Transducer Connection

bobm

I purchased a 35' Ericson MkII that the owner was in the process of upgrading before abruptly selling it. I am no longer able to contact him for information.
The masthead wind transducer is not connected and I do not know what make/model it is, my guess is an older B&G. A cable runs from the mast to the nav station where he separated and labeled the wires into two groups:
1) direction (blk,red,wht,grn,org)
2) speed (ylw,blu,pur)
He was moving everything to NMEA 2000 (B&G Triton7 chartplotter, Airmar Tri-ducer, B&G remote displays). I also discovered a new Actisense NMEA 2000 to NMEA 0183 converter in a package onboard.
I'm hoping to save myself a trip up the mast to determine how to connect the wind transducer to the N2K backbone. Is there a non-destructive electrical measurement I can make to test whether the transducer is Analog, or digital and which standard? Does the wire color coding give a clue?
Thanks in advance

william.haas

1990 Ericson 28-2
My suspicion is that the transducer is analog and would be connected to a converter (like a Raymarine ITC-5 for a Raymarine setup) or directly into a wind instrument display itself. The NMEA2000 standard is for 5 wires (two signal + and - , power, ground, drain) and if I recall correctly NMEA 0183 is the same.

I also suspect that you have an older, NMEA 0183 VHF with AIS receive and the Actisense was planned for that. That way you could get your AIS data onto the NMEA 2000 network and display targets on the plotter.

Given that I know Raymarine very well and not B&G at all and that you did not mention your VHF these are pretty wild guesses on my part - maybe helpful and perhaps not.

Perhaps try reviewing the installation manuals of older B&G wind transducers?

Good luck!

bobm

My suspicion is that the transducer is analog and would be connected to a converter (like a Raymarine ITC-5 for a Raymarine setup) or directly into a wind instrument display itself. The NMEA2000 standard is for 5 wires (two signal + and - , power, ground, drain) and if I recall correctly NMEA 0183 is the same.

I also suspect that you have an older, NMEA 0183 VHF with AIS receive and the Actisense was planned for that. That way you could get your AIS data onto the NMEA 2000 network and display targets on the plotter.

Given that I know Raymarine very well and not B&G at all and that you did not mention your VHF these are pretty wild guesses on my part - maybe helpful and perhaps not.

Perhaps try reviewing the installation manuals of older B&G wind transducers?

Good luck!
Thanks, the VHF is a Standard Communications GX1250s Horizon Eclipse+ (pretty old). I scanned the owners manual and I don't think it's AIS capable. The boat is a bit of a puzzle since I've found a lot of odds and ends on it, maybe big plans that never materialized.

william.haas

1990 Ericson 28-2
That’s definitely not an AIS receive enabled unit. All boat owners have big plans… as I’m certain you do. The trick is prioritizing them (among many other things).