Winching in a headsail

G Kiba

Sustaining Member
Bolo. The technique is fine. No winch is ever needed and it is the quickest and sometimes the safest way to put away the headsail. I singlehand 80% of the time and have no problems doing it. In fact i am often heading downwind on approaching to the many marinas i frequent (50/50 chance). This is not to mention the fact that when when flying the kite by myself (or crewed) I have to roll up the jib after hoisting the kite and roll out the jib when dousing. Considering that some of the sailors here don't fly a kite regularly or sail in lighter conditions, this fact might elude them.

Bolo

Contributing Partner
Bolo. The technique is fine. No winch is ever needed and it is the quickest and sometimes the safest way to put away the headsail. I singlehand 80% of the time and have no problems doing it. In fact i am often heading downwind on approaching to the many marinas i frequent (50/50 chance). This is not to mention the fact that when when flying the kite by myself (or crewed) I have to roll up the jib after hoisting the kite and roll out the jib when dousing. Considering that some of the sailors here don't fly a kite regularly or sail in lighter conditions, this fact might elude them.
Grant - About 18 years ago, when I owned a Hunter 285 and knew less about sailing, I used my winch about two or three times to pull in the head sail. Even back then this didn’t seem right because I observed the stresses that were being placed on the furler and associated rigging so I stopped doing it and resorted to ”manhandling“ (Am I still allowed to use that word these days?) the head sail in during a big blow which did result in some sail damage. It was later, just after I took possession of my E32-3 when I read an article about turning downwind (Again, where possible) to make it easier to roll in the furler and lessen the chances of damage to the sail in high winds. Everyone has their ”style” of sailing and I am not about to criticize what they do if it works for them. My style is to use common sense and what works for me after educating myself on a sailing technique and some trial and error. I also use a boom brake, which some sailors also frown on, to help reduce accidental jibes an lessen “shock” to the rigging in strong winds but it’s worked for me.

jav317

Member III
I use a ratcheting block, a relatively new style block that eliminates the sheet being pulled through your hands. Much better control.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I use a ratcheting block, a relatively new style block that eliminates the sheet being pulled through your hands. Much better control.
Yup. I have a small Harken ratcheting swivel block, made to be mounted on the stern rail tubing. This leads to a small horn cleat mounted on the same rail tubing.

Bolo

Contributing Partner
Just watched a couple of videos about ratcheting blocks and found it interesting and probably a new addition to the rigging on my boat. Thanks!

southofvictor

Member III
Blogs Author
Yup. I have a small Harken ratcheting swivel block, made to be mounted on the stern rail tubing. This leads to a small horn cleat mounted on the same rail tubing.
Does the stern rail tubing seem to hold up to the the doubled load of a turning block OK?

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Does the stern rail tubing seem to hold up to the the doubled load of a turning block OK?
Yes. That 1" SS tubing base is thru bolted to backing plates when the boat was built @ EY. You can use the base of the rail for a mooring point, if needed.
Note that the load on the furling line is light duty. The change in load 'vector' is less than 90 degrees. The swivel block is mounted very low on the tubing, too.
Link picture, with the turning block just visible at upper left. the little cleat is mounted just above it

Last edited:

Rhett_m

Member I
Excellent Advice! A few years ago I labored to roll in a flapping small jib, still holding course to windward. Furler jammed and by the time we got the sail in, it was damaged and needed repair. In the aftermath I also replaced the old Harken with a new Mk 4.
I could have - maybe - got another year out of the furler and never harmed the jib at all IF I had done what Bob suggests.
^^ 100%
I always turn into a broad reach before furling up the headsail. Absolutely saves your sail from getting beat up from flagging, and makes it easier to furl.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Couple of pix, today. Note that the little rail cleat is above the swivel ratchet block.
This has worked well, for a couple of decades.

Attachments

• Sherman Johnson Rail Cleat.png
    Sherman Johnson Rail Cleat.png
    85.1 KB · Views: 22
  • Furling line block & cleat O34.jpg
    Furling line block & cleat O34.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 21