Winch rebuilding question

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
I rebuilt one of the self tailing winches on the E30+ last weekend. (Figured I'd start with one in case I screwed it up somehow!) It was actually much easier than I expected, despite the amount of crud I found in there.

The winch is a Barient 19 and I did have one question. Under the clamp ring at the top of the winch there is a part called the "screw stop plate." Under that plate I found what looked like the remnants of some kind of silicone sealant. Or maybe it was some kind of thread locking compound put on the shoulder screws that have the clamping springs on them. There is no mention of anything like that in the rebuilding instructions. I cleaned it all out and didn't put anything else like it in there when I reassembled the winch.

Is anyone aware of why this material would be in there or if it is even necessary? It doesn't seem like it would be.

Last edited:

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
I rebuilt one of the self tailing winches on the E30+ last weekend. (Figured I'd start with one in case I screwed it up somehow!) It was actually much easier than I expected, despite the amount of crud I found in there.

The winch is a Barient 19 and I did have one question. Under the clamp ring at the top of the winch there is a part called the "screw stop plate." Under that plate I found what looked like the remnants of some kind of silicone sealant. Or maybe it was some kind of thread locking compound put on the shoulder screws that have the clamping springs on them. There is no mention of anything like that in the rebuilding instructions. I cleaned it all out and didn't put anything else like it in there when I reassembled the winch.

Is anyone aware of why this material would be in there or if it is even necessary? It doesn't seem like it would be.

My wife just serviced the Barient 19ST that is our mainsheet winch. There was nothing like what you mentioned on those screws. She used the manual as it was the first winch she/I had ever seen apart and I don't recall it mentioning anything like this either, but I can check.... RT