Winch locker on E 29 cockpit coming

Spoondude

Member I
My E 29 has a used up what I believe is a storage place for winch handles in the cockpit and it sits in the starboard coming. My question is after taking it out from coming it does not appear to have a drain for water intrusion. Can any one shed some light in whether this has a drain or not?

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
The "floor" of the hollow coaming is the "ceiling" of the Q-berth liner. Some kind of access hole has to be cut into this in order to service the winches and other hardware installed on the starboard coaming. They were apparently installed at the factory before the deck was joined to the hull. Sounds like a storage nook may have been the solution on your boat. Mine has a deck plate in the Q-berth side that you have to reach up into from below.

Water that gets in there would drain into the "duct" that runs along the hull-deck joint and then drip into the aft lazarette space at the back of the cockpit and eventually to the bilge. However, due the curvature of the boat, and whatever the workers did with the ends of the fiberglass sheets at the end of the piece, the "duct" does not drain freely on my boat and water pools up in it, and spills over behind the plywood panels, across the "shelf" and down onto the Q-berth mattress.

Spoondude

Member I
The "floor" of the hollow coaming is the "ceiling" of the Q-berth liner. Some kind of access hole has to be cut into this in order to service the winches and other hardware installed on the starboard coaming. They were apparently installed at the factory before the deck was joined to the hull. Sounds like a storage nook may have been the solution on your boat. Mine has a deck plate in the Q-berth side that you have to reach up into from below.

Water that gets in there would drain into the "duct" that runs along the hull-deck joint and then drip into the aft lazarette space at the back of the cockpit and eventually to the bilge. However, due the curvature of the boat, and whatever the workers did with the ends of the fiberglass sheets at the end of the piece, the "duct" does not drain freely on my boat and water pools up in it, and spills over behind the plywood panels, across the "shelf" and down onto the Q-berth mattress.
Very interesting that Ericson would not correct that in the build process. Who wants a wet mattress?? I would hope the builder thought that the water would travel down to the bilge from gravity but still in a monsoon rain that could be a lot of water Wet mattress or not!. Thanks for reply

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
Well, I think that they assumed that there would not be any deck leaks. Or never dreamed that the boats would last this long.